Author Topic: Neutering  (Read 283 times)

Offline RattyRodent

Neutering
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:48:34 AM »
The wife and I have been so used to raising females, that the three boys we just adopted are like the new frontier for us. They are each about a year old and two of them have not been neutered. I know the importance of spaying females so they don't get tumors later, but how important is it to have males fixed?

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Neutering
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »
I've read of slight health benefits to neutering including lower rates of obesity and potentially a slightly longer average life span (like a couple months). There are other advantages for owning neutered rats including softer fur and less marking (pee dribbles).

Of course neutering will also curb hormonal aggression issues. I think this is the main reason to consider a neuter. Most male rats don't deal with problems with hormonal aggression, though.

Except in cases of mixed gender mischiefs or for overly aggressive rats, I haven't read of any benefits that I think outweigh the risks and cost of the surgery.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Neutering
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:33:31 PM »
Castration gives no health benefit to bucks comparable to that of spaying does.  It can, however, calm hormonal aggression, as Michael mentions, which is the main reason for neutering a buck--that, and making him safe to be around intact does.  If you want a mixed-sex mischief, all the members of one sex or the other must be sterilized, or your cage will soon be filled to bursting with pinkies.

Since castration is much less invasive than spaying, it is usually also much less expensive.  But if you can possibly afford it, spay your does in preference to castrating your bucks, since the does will benefit so much more.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n