Author Topic: Tobi Is No Longer a Big Jerk  (Read 229 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Tobi Is No Longer a Big Jerk
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
Last week I decided to see if Irish and Tobi could get along. I set them both on the bathroom floor and watched them explore and interact. Tobi didn't try anything. He did say hi, but not much else. Irish on the other hand was not happy. He puffed up a bit and whenever Tobi came over to him he would powergroom him. I found it amusing that Tobi was no longer trying to be top rat. Later I had Tobi and Pasquale in the bathroom. They acted yet like they used to. Tobi was in charge, but there wasn't as much squeaking.

So the next test was when I cleaned the whole cage and I placed them all in the same large carrying case. Everything seemed fine until I hear a loud squeak. Irish looked like he was jumping on top of Tobi. I quickly grabbed Irish and looked him over. He was absolutely fine, besides puffing himself up. Then I saw the white fur in his mouth. I picked up Tobi and put Irish back. Tobi had a small spot just behind his elbow that was bleeding. Because of that I still have Tobi by himself in the lower half of the double critter nation cage. Unfortunately I don't have anything solid separating the two halves.

This morning I grabbed Tobi to give him some love. Once I had him in my lap I saw his face. Tobi looks like he stuck his nose into the upper half of the cage and got his nose/lip bit. It looks painful. All I can think is that Irish might be getting revenge for Tobi biting his toes. While Tobi has calmed down, Irish is starting to get into his teenage grump phase.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
Re: Tobi Is No Longer a Big Jerk
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
Try sliding some thick cardboard in between the bare spot and tuck it under the pan or the plastic you have there to hold it down.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
I used to use cardboard, but the rats would just tear it apart and pee on it. I was actually thinking about getting a chinchilla chiller, since they destroy anything soft/softish.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »
We got a free piece of sample tile at Home Depot. Perfect size and very easy to clean.
--Best, Mountaintop--