Author Topic: Rats with Respiratory Disease  (Read 272 times)

Offline Sidera17

Rats with Respiratory Disease
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
 :(  Hi everyone.  I have two rats who are about 2 and a half years old-- Grey Goose and Bernie.  Bernie has always had chronic respiratory ailments since I got him, and Grey Goose was always healthy.

About a week ago, Grey Goose suddenly began snuffling.  I took him to the vet and he got a Vibramycin shot.  The next day, he was even worse, and needed to be put in an oxygen chamber.  Radiology discovered that his right lung was completely filled with fluid.  He was hospitalized and started on Baytril, Azithromycin, a bronchodilator, and anti-inflammatory.

I went to go visit Goosey on Tuesday after he had been hospitalized for 4 days.  He had little to no improvement, and gets so distressed when he is out of the oxygen chamber because he can't breathe.  He eats little to no food and is very warm to the touch.  The vet sent out a blood sample for serology, but the results have not come back yet.

Goosey can no longer breathe on his own, and the antibiotics seem to be doing nothing.  We have started to discuss helping him over the Bridge because his condition is so severe. 

Is there anything else I can do, suggest, or try?  I have a vet appointment tomorrow and we will be discussing humane euthanasia because he is struggling so much with no improvement.  :(  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Rats with Respiratory Disease
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
The only other thing to try might be a diuretic, such as Lasix, but if he's really that uncomfortable, it's probably time.  Of all the times I've helped a rat to the Bridge, my only regrets are the times I wish I'd done it sooner.  I'm very sorry. :love9:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n