Author Topic: No air-conditioning  (Read 588 times)

Offline RattyRodent

No air-conditioning
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
Once again summer is almost upon us and the weather is nasty. (I hate summer. I hate it's hot, sticky guts!) Our apartment complex has central air that always breaks down this time of year. No maintenance will get here til Monday. In the meantime, how much heat can rats take? It'll be mid-eighties tonight and nineties tomorrow. How do your rats handle the heat? Need al lthe help and advice I can get.

Offline mightywhiskers

Re: No air-conditioning
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »
I'm not sure what the high range for rats is but mine like it cooler, I keep my house (and them) around 72. The first summer I had the same problem of no ac, they were moved to the living room where we had a single room window unit which you could do for less than whole house, for temp fixes you can put one of the block ice packs on top of the cage with a bowl flipped upside down on top and it will be a tiny little ac for an hour or so depending on the temperature. for the really hot days I put a brick that i sanitized and refrigerated into the cage for them to lay on.
those would be my suggestions if you don't have access to ac for them.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:38:14 AM »
Environmental requirements from the Rat Guide:
Room Temperature    65-79F / 18-28C
Relative Humidity    30% - 70 %

If you don't have freezer packs, a bowl of ice with a larger bowl over it will also work.  Another thing that helps is to always  have some full water bottles in the refrigerator and keep changing them out as the ones in the cage get warm.  You can also put out a bowl of frozen peas in cold water, and your rats can have fun while cooling off.  Or just plain cold water for them to dip their tails in.

There is a product called a Chin Chiller, which I believe is basically a slab of marble that you refrigerate for your chinchillas to lie on (chins are even more heat-sensitive than rats), but you could probably do just as well with a couple of marble or granite tiles (9 x 9 or 12 x12, say) from a home remodeling store.  Again, keep one or two chilling in the refrigerator to swap out as the one in the cage warms up.  It will also help to have a fan moving air in the room; just make sure the breeze doesn't blow directly on the rats.

A rat's tail is its main thermoregulator.  If you see a rat on its back in the heat, that means it is trying to lose heat through its paws as well.  If you should see this, you must act very fast, because it means the rat is on the verge of heatstroke.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  2m2f21r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ratsareausomepets

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
1. Move the cage to the basement.
2. Feed frozen fruits and veggies.
3. Put electrolytes in the water. This can be done by adding squeezed citrus juice or salt...
4. Add something to the water to encourage more drinking.
5. Train your rats to enjoy taking a bath. In my opinion, the best way is with frozen pea fishing. Make the water deeper and deeper each time.
6. Use a fan. You may have to get a new type of bedding that doesn't blow away...     Rats don't sweat but fans still cool them down. Think about it. Does a fan cool YOU down when you are not sweating?

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »
What they said. Plus, one of the best and easiest things is to get 2-liter soda bottles, fill them most of the way with water and freeze them solid. Put them on top of the cage and also drape a towel over the top of the cage and the frozen bottle to force the cold air down in a concentrated way. Larger cage like a double CN? You can also have one in the cage wrapped in a towel so they don't get freezer burn. If you have enough freezer space, ideally keep two on standby to swap out as they thaw.
--Best, Mountaintop--