Author Topic: How to Build an Oxygen Tank at Home  (Read 216 times)

Offline Sidera17

How to Build an Oxygen Tank at Home
« on: June 13, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »
Hi everyone, I posted recently about Grey Goose, who has been at the vet in oxygen for about a week suffering from what appears to be pneumonia.  Goosey has been stabilized, but will still need to slowly be weaned off oxygen treatment.  I was hoping to build him something at home for this, because staying at the vet is becoming expensive, and his temperament would do better at home.  (He reminded me of this yesterday when he bit me!   :heart: 

I've been reading a lot on here about how to make an oxygen chamber for him, but am a bit confused.  I am going to use a plastic bin, but am unsure if I should use an oxygen tank or an oxygen compressor?  (Or an oxygen concentrator?)  I have tried to read numerous posts but think I am missing a fundamental understanding of how these are built.  Can someone explain things out a bit more or direct me to a link that might be useful?  Thank you!!! 

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: How to Build an Oxygen Tank at Home
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 11:26:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXlGoeD6eU

You can see in this video they use a tub with a lid. You'll want to poke a few holes in it so in case the oxygen concentrator stops they can still get air, but for the most part you need a pretty closed off box structure with a place you can feed the oxygen into. When we used the one from our vet they used plexiglass sheets to make a box that was about 1.5 foot square in size for our rats. It has a few holes drilled in the lid and a hole on the side for the oxygen tube to go in. Our vet let us take home their oxygen concentrator and the box when we needed it several times for our rats. You might see if they have the means to spare the one he's using now for a few days, otherwise it should be fairly easy to make the box out of small plastic tub, but if you dont already have a concentrator they are pretty pricey. Good luck to you and Grey Goose. I hope he gets better soon.  :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats