Author Topic: A sweet moment at the vet's office today <3  (Read 383 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
A sweet moment at the vet's office today <3
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
 I had Holly at the vet today for her tooth to be trimmed. While I was standing at the counter to pay, another guest was there and saw the transport with Holly inside and asked if I had a small kitten in it. The receptionist glanced at me and smiled, while I told the lady what the transport had inside.

The lady's eyes got real big as I explained all about rats (Holly, in particular). How she is a dumbo eared, and that she is a rex , and why she was at the vet's office. I explained about bruxing and what it does for rats, and that people also brux (my husband has bruxism and grinds his teeth at night if he's had a rough day at work), and malocclusion (that people also have that, and can get braces for it, but rats can't have braces since their teeth grow throughout their lifetime).

Then I opened the transport and took Holly out so the lady could see her better. She OOOHHH'ed and AWWW'ed, then asked if she could pet Holly, and commented that it was the first time she had been that close to a rat or to even pet one! Then she thanked me for taking the time to explain about pet rats, and said she had learned a lot! After the lady left, the receptionist smiled and said that normally people don't WANT to know about rats, so it was nice what I did.

Offline Marshall

• Speckley Dude!
Re: A sweet moment at the vet's office today <3
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
That is really sweet  :heart:. It's nice when people are open to learning about rats. Usually when I go to the vet and someone finds out that I have a rat with me they seem open minded at first but then they'll tell me a story about a negative experience that they had with a wild rat. I'm glad you were able to give this woman a different perspective.  :)

Offline purple rat

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »
You and Holly make great rattie ambassadors!  :thumbsup2:
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »
We will change the stigma, one person at a time. Keep up the good work you and Holly!  :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »
Aww, thanks everyone, for the sweet replies! Holly is such a gentle old (30 months) girl, she has such a sweet nature, so I'll let her take all the credit for helping to change people's minds about rats. :-)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:01:38 PM »
I always say that rats are their own best PR!  They very good at changing minds.  :)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »
Go Holly!
--Best, Mountaintop--