Author Topic: Roswell Upper Res--Questions  (Read 835 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Roswell Upper Res--Questions
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »
It's been a while since health problems--maybe because I'm down to 2.  :) Holbrook hoarding survivor Roswell, named for his "crop circle" scar from ringworm, is a sweet old man with a poor immune system--one thing after another. His occasional upper res sounds which have been treated off and on sound liquidy yesterday and today. Eating, moving fine, good spirits. Regular vet behind from holiday and can't see him until Monday.

Should I start some treatment? Take him to a vet who doesn't know him as well? Appreciate your thoughts.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Roswell Upper Res--Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Ratphone him, and if you hear clicking, or other signs of congestion in the lungs, then get him to the vet sooner rather than later.  If not, then it could probably wait.

At least that's what I'd do, in the same situation.  I hope Roswell gets well soon!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
We called back yesterday as Roswell was starting to sounding liquidy. Bless their hearts the newest MRR participating vet--Albany County Vet shuffled some appointments around so the small animal vet--Dr Virginia Jarvis--could see them both yesterday. Most thorough exam I've ever seen my rats get. Several things made me feel good. She had done their initial exam and neuter right after we got them to foster, and made specific comments on ways in which they were doing better which she said was thanks to our good care--like Nikko had less porphryn discharge and fur staining and Roswell had gained weight. How kind of her! The vet tech who was knew to rats was totally sold after handling them--he actually got Nikko to pancake and almost go to sleep.

Nikko is doing great, and Roswell has an extremely minor UTI and an emerging URI. She gave Roswell a shot and called in Batril/Doxy combo. Two thorough exams, urine test and shot $90. Awesome. 
--Best, Mountaintop--

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Roswell Another Question
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
I forgot to ask. The vet thought Roswell had a loose fang and asked if he were eating. I thought their fangs were supposed to move but she said it was more than that. I hadn't noticed anything but called her back because she's right--he ignores his Sue Bee mix and refuses treats he used to love that are hard--like yogies--but inhales soft treats like a noodle or some ensure. Per the vet, we're going to finish his month of Baytril/Doxy then she'll examine the teeth closer.

If a tooth is infected, do they pull it? Does it regrow? Can they get by missing one? Thx
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
If the tooth falls out on it's own sometimes they grow back, same for when it is removed sometimes they grow back on their own.  If he does lose a tooth in some way whether by surgery or on it's own you will need to keep an eye on the other remaining teeth and possibly do routine trims if you don't have any regrowth.

Also in the meantime keep lots of soft foods available for him to eat if he is not wanting to eat the harder stuff.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
As I understand it, it has to do with how badly the root is damaged.  The root goes quite a way back into the jawbone, so a tooth can't just fall out.  If a tooth does fall out, it has fractured somewhere inside the jaw, and the seriousness of the injury will determine whether the root dies or continues to grow.

The depth of the roots of the teeth and their continual growth are what I expect give rats the ability to gnaw through things like concrete.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
Poor Roswell is near the end of a full month of Baytril/Doxy and I still hear his breathing which is still rapid although he is perkier. :-\  And he still gravitates to Ensure and green beans and pasta and avoids everything hard--even yogies and bits of fortune cookie. Will keep you posted.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 01:39:24 PM »
Sending good thoughts to poor Roswell. Hows he been getting on the last few days -any change? An xray might help figure things out if he doesnt seem to improve. Get well soon, Roswell.  :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »
Keeping you and Roswell in my prayers. I've been following your post, and hoping Roswell would show some improvements.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:08:42 AM »
Thank you guys. gLEASE KEEP UP THE GooD THOUGHTS. Got appt for 10:30 tomorrow WITH THE GREAT VET. I'm gonna SEE IF IT MAKES SENSE FOR AN X-ray. Rats are so small do you suppose they could xray 2 at once...

1. Roswell, who NEEDS URI, and UTI checked out as well as potential tooth problems from loose tooth.
2. Cagemate nikko who had an open abscess near his survical site after neutering but it healed. He still has tiny and sometimes offcolor poops and major porphryn esp on one side. Got clean bill of health but she admitted his poops were weird.
Can they xray them together, sharing films for less cost?

I'm trying IMAGR to show you why, from the day we got him to foster, we HAD TO CHANGE his name Borat to Roswell for the crop circle.

--Best, Mountaintop--

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »
I'm a bad rat mommy. Now, I'm not typically your early arriver to start with. This AM I found myself so afraid I'd come home without one of my last two that I dragged ass getting out the door, then we hit traffic... and was late enough the vet was in surgery and couldn't see me. :-C It's Thursday. On the other hand, this afternoon I learned of more cardiac problems in the Holbrook rescue Roswell is part of. Maybe the liquidy lungs and rapid heart and breathing are from heart issues. I'm not only going to ask the vet about an x ray and more powerful pharms, but about heart as well.

On the plus side, this PM I spent some good time with him and asked him if it was his time, and I felt very connected but got a ruby stare of curiosity and surprise, like, "Really? Why do you ask?" I don't think i've ever experienced that before, but it was a relief.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 12:02:38 AM »
Thats an interesting idea! I never thought about xraying 2 at once. I don't know anything about having it done, maybe someone else will chime in who does, but it wouldnt hurt to ask your vet. And You may be on to something about the heart trouble too...  Definitely something to mention to the vet. I hope it isnt anything too difficult to treat and wish Rosewell and you all the best at the vet. (I love his name btw!) :heart:

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
Well, sniff, there are 5 pieces of good news.
I brought Roswell home from the vet.
His lungs sound somewhat better after 3+ weeks of Baytril/Doxy.
His heart is OK.
Our red tabby Maine Coon, Murphy Muldoon, who will be 13 this 10/10 appears to be in great shape. He's lost a pound of his 13+ but the vet still likes his weight. We await results for blood panel which I requested.
Our new vet was as great with Murphy as with our rats. She only charged $35  :shocked2: for a partial ultrasound to better diagnose him.

But... while the URI has mostly cleared:
His lungs have quite a few growths in them, which is why I still don't like his breathing, especially at times. She said they could be tumors or a result of old myco infections--which it is, she recommends against further testing to find out in his case.
He does indeed have a sensitive incisor, but she said he would not survive the surgery to pull it, and she would not want to put him through future trimmings of the remaining incisors, if that became necessary, given his condition. So we'll keep him on soft diet.

She agrees with me about asking animals if it is time, and believes me that he says he is not yet ready to go. Our plan is to finish the last week of his month of Baytril/Doxy and see how he is doing. If he still is eating well, has energy and sparkle as he does now, but still has some "liquidy" breathing, I will come back and we will turn it up with Orbax. If he declines at any point, I will let him go. With that many growths, she said if he declines it could be like watching a person struggle with emphysema. No way I would let him go through that.

She loves him. Said he lay perfectly still for the mini-ultrasound--she couldn't believe how much she could see--then when briefly released she said he popped to his feet and looked right at her brightly like, "Aren't I a good boy?"

So i wait. My heart hurts. He and Nikko, who I brought for company, peed on the paper towels I put in the Ratoob, then pushed the damp toweling aside and lay on each other in the dry. We was there so long between rat and senior cat exams that, on the way home, Roswell got restless, crawled out onto the front of the Ratoob, and released one tiny piece of damp poopie on the outside of the Ratoob. The rest he held for the litter pan back home.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 10:32:18 PM »
Glad to hear the URI is getting better. The growths are a little worrying. I hope it is just a flare up of myco as your vet mentioned. Keep on truckin, Roswell. I will keep sedning good thoughts and well wishes your way.  :heart:
And best of luck with the blood panel for Murphy. Older cats tend to lose weight. I would not worry too much about that 1 pound unless he's showing other signs of being "off". :heart: