Author Topic: The One White Tooth  (Read 535 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
The One White Tooth
« on: July 24, 2017, 01:14:17 AM »
So remember how Pasquale had an abscess on the one side of his chin. Well I think it affected the tooth on that side, because that tooth has been growing out white. Seeing as I have no money at the moment, I can't afford to take him to the vet. I would take a picture, but Pasquale is a squirmy little butt, so I can barely get a good look at it. He's response is to grab my thumb with his little hands and lick it. Insight please?

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: The One White Tooth
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
Is he eating crunchy foods ok? If he's eating OK, the tooth is probably OK. I'd consider this one cosmetic for now.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »
I remember reading something about tooth color, where it comes from, and what it means if the teeth whiten, but I can't find it.  There's nothing I could find about tooth color at all on the Rat Guide, and the Rat Behavior and Biology site merely states that the upper incisors are normally yellower and the lower ones normally paler.  I would say that if all the other teeth are looking normal, not to worry just yet.  It may be an effect of the abscess, and it is possible that as the tooth grows out it may return to its proper color.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Vitamin A & E deficiency can cause it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1257853/pdf/biochemj00975-0120.pdf

I'd definitely talk to your vet further about it.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
Interesting article! I don't see anything about a single tooth, though. Maybe the illness led to a deficiency due to pickier food preferences.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
Since he doesn't seem bothered by it I'm just going to watch him and hope it's nothing. He eats without any problems. When he had his abcess problems all I did was soak his usual food in water so he could eat it.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
It's entirely possible the root was affected by the abscess.  And equally possible that if the tooth is growing normally, the color will return.

I noticed that on my left hand after the two arduous operations last year, all the nails on that hand developed a depression across the width of the nail that took a little over a month to grow out.  There was no other trauma to the hand that I can think might have caused it.  And ever since the depression grew out, the nails have all been fine.  I think it must have been related to the operations to repair the breaks, because all the nerves and muscles were traumatized by the surgery and it took more than half a year for the swelling to subside.

I'd bet that Pasquale's abscess, like the trauma to my arm, would be enough to affect a nearby growth process.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
I checked Pasquale's tooth last night and it is growing back to it's original color.  :rattysmiley:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »
Yay! :thumbsup2:

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
Yay Pasquale! P.S. what ever became of the footsteps on the roof? [Now you know the answer to how do you keep a turkey in suspense?]
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »
Yay Pasquale! P.S. what ever became of the footsteps on the roof? [Now you know the answer to how do you keep a turkey in suspense?]

lol It was just a maintenance guy walking on the roof. It definitely freaked me out until I saw the crane thing outside my window.