Author Topic: How long does Doxyvet (liquid Doxycycline) last before it goes bad?  (Read 574 times)

Offline Nysander

I feel like I've been posting a lot here lately, but I've got another nagging question I can't seem to Google an answer to..

My 3 rattie boys have some pretty chronic respiratory infections. Most likely myco and a very persistant version.
They go the vet for antibiotics so often that the vet has given me a full 50ml bottle of doxy vet and a full 25ml bottle of baytril and told me to just do 2-3 weeks on them and then 2-4 weeks off and whenever they flare up and start getting wheezy again to do another course. They've tried several antibiotics and it seems to pretty chronic no matter what but the baytril/doxy combo seems to clear them up for a little while though not long.

Anyway, my question is how long does the doxy liquid last? It says it has to be refrigerated and I've heard old doxy can harm the liver, but the vet doesn't seem to know (he's not very used to rats).
It has an expiration date on the bottle for 2018 but Idk if that means unopened or what....
Anybody know how long it's safe to keep using out of this same bottle?? I've had it about 4 months now and I'm just nervous....

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: How long does Doxyvet (liquid Doxycycline) last before it goes bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »
If it says 2018, then it's still safe to use.  Some medications do expire faster if opened, but if that were the case, the label would clearly say so.  So use the doxy with confidence--at least for the rest of this year!  If it ever appears discolored or "off" in any way, however, stop using it and call your vet.

There is a safety margin built into expiration dates, but there is no way of knowing how long that would be.  I once was told by my vet that it was safe to use some Baytril after it had expired, but whether he meant Baytril in general or only that Baytril in those particular circumstance, I'm not sure.  He did warn me that there are other drugs that become actively unsafe past the expiration date, and he's always very good about reminding me whenever he prescribes such a medication.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:07 AM »
Sticking my nose in outside the question.   :tongue1:  I'm not a vet, but the real rat-savvy vets I've seen are now saying that rats need a 30-day cycle on antibiotics rather than the 10-21 days for most critters including people. Also, they tend to not just use Baytril, which is good for myco as well as injuries and urinary infections so is a great start on treatment, but double it up with Doxy. Good luck. I hate respiratory probs.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Nysander

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
@BigBen

Thank you! That gives me a little peace of mind :)

@Mountaintop

Yeah since this particular vet isn't the most experienced with rats (this is the one who advises crushing an aspirin tablet into their water bottle if they need anti-inflammatory/pain killer) and I've got the whole bottles, I've been doing 3-4 weeks on meds ( they are on both Doxy and Baytril) and then going off for a couple of weeks, then back on. Even the longer courses don't seem to clear it up though. Its usually only a few days to a week after they go off meds before they start showing symptoms again. :( very aggressive myco.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
BigBen, what is the next gen med you had luck with on your Apostle boys when Baytril/Doxy fell short?
Nysander, Cool! ;)  I see now that your original message said they were on both meds.  :-[ Thank you for being so tactful. Some web sites i get flamed for less than a late night oversight.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »
BigBen, what is the next gen med you had luck with on your Apostle boys when Baytril/Doxy fell short?
Nysander, Cool! ;)  I see now that your original message said they were on both meds.  :-[ Thank you for being so tactful. Some web sites i get flamed for less than a late night oversight.

Azithromycin is starting to be more commonly used as a big cannon drug, if you will, when the baytril/doxy combo aren't doing the job.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »
That's it, Mamarat! Appreciate it.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
That's it, Mamarat! Appreciate it.

Welcome.  The only thing is that I believe it's not as shelf stable even in the refrigerator as long as Doxy.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
The med you're thinking about is Orbax, which is related to Baytril.  I've also had good luck with Clavamox, which is a combination of amoxicillin and clavanulate, either alone or in combination.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n