Author Topic: Possible PT  (Read 1497 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Possible PT
« on: August 22, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »
A while ago I had noticed that Pasquale would hold his treat in his hands, but keep his hands on my hand as he ate. Today I was giving him a little bit of melon as a treat and he wouldn't hold it. I tried with a yogi and he was holding it against my hand. I then grabbed a cheerio and he did the same thing. I don't know what to do. I don't have money to take him to the vet.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Possible PT
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
Sorry you and Pasquale are going through this. Check his feet for redness, swelling or overlong nails, which I've heard can affect the grip, and any of which we may be able to offer cheap/free suggestions. If none of those? Don't give up after one day of oddness. But, sadly, in my experience, grip problems tend to go with PT. And others may disagree with me, but I am not one of the people who has had luck with extremely expensive courses of treatment buying any time. Others, however, have seen temporary reversals buying severall weeks of life.

Anything else other than the grip? Is he awkward/falling/tipping sideways? Obsessively grooming his face? Turning in circles? Walking blindly and bumping into things? Personality change and a lost expression in the eyes? The Rat Health Guide has other symptoms, but these are the ones I've seen most.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
He has been a bit awkward. Usually he has no problem staying on my shoulders, but he kept slidding backwards off me. Luckily I was sitting on the couch. At one point I lifted a box he was sleeping in and ended up with him on his side. He seemed to be trying to right himself, but he was only moving one hind leg. He doesn't seem as wiggly as he used to be when I would hold him on his back, so I could look at his face and teeth. I just scruffed him and he didn't care. He would always wriggle and scream.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:10:21 AM »
You've had it rough lately! Thoughts and prayers.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »
Thank you.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
How's he doing? I'm not a vet, but the sliding off your shoulder and the falling and trying to get up sounded like it could be fairly advanced PT. And I've been worrying about and praying for him.

I just had to let my second to last rattie go. One thing after another, and the last straw for me was seeing three emerging symptoms of PT on the same day when he was already struggling to breathe and looking at me with tired eyes.

I hate PT. I really do. If I ever come into substantial money, such as from the lottery we don't play (that WOULD be a miracle!)  I would love to find a way to fund research on it. I have hope. In the early 70s, Feline FeLV was the kiss of death and we didn't understand well how it spread. I assisted Iowa State University in research in a small way, tracking and paying for blood tests for my all my cats every six months. Today, there's a VACCINE and even treatments. And when Steve and I lived on Market Street in the Castro district of San Francisco in the early 90s, AIDS was in a similar state. One of our friends in our apartment building had moved to SF as a great adventure, with 13 friends from Michigan, and he was the sole survivor. The joy and pride and energy of the Castro that we thought of before and after the 90s was at times overshadowed by estate sales and families estranged from (usually) sons dying horrible deaths. The central clerical person at the big six consulting firm I worked for quit, and just weeks later I saw him waiting for a train, skin and bones with hands curled oddly--I barely recognized him. And the political right increased the pain. Early research into the virus in Africa added racism to the homophobia swirling around the disease and those who lived with it. We have farther to go, but AIDS prevention and treatment has come so far.

My husband joked many years ago that if i can't find a soapbox I'll pull out the portable, collapsible one I carry. Better step down.  :heart:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:17:29 PM »
Well, his sense of balance definitely seems off. He was just standing on my lap and when he started to clean himself and he slid off my leg. He also doesn't seem very interested in his food. I have a bowl that's connected to the side of the cage. Usually he grab the food and stashes it all over the cage. The last couple times I've filled it up I noticed that he would look in the bowl, but wouldn't take any food. I haven't weighed him recently, so I don't know if he's lost weight.

It's crazy that you mention Iowa State. I grew up in Iowa and when my mom decided we couldn't keep our cat(we're allergic and he sprayed on the couch and my mom) he ended up going to the vet program at Iowa State.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
I was born in Ames, went to Iowa State, worked at Bankers Life (the Principal) for 11 years, then on to Calif   How long were you in Iowa?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »
I lived in Jefferson, Iowa from the age of 2 and moved to PA when I was 21. I went to Iowa Central for a year and then two years at Western Iowa Tech.

I just took a little video comparing Tobi and Pasquale. It's really weird seeing Tobi be the active brother.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:24:18 PM »
Here's the video I took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDy0-omv8cg

In the video I notice that the food that was in the bowel was partly eaten. It makes me think Pasquale was eating the food straight out of the bowel instead of taking it out of the bowel first.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:27:48 PM by MinervaThonosi »

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
At least he looks pretty bright and eager. Were they comparable weight at one point?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »
Tobi has always weighed more.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
I got Pasquale out this morning and noticed that he had diarrhea caked on under his anus. So I gave him a quick bath. He's never been a fan of baths, but today he did something he's never done. He nipped me. Both during the bath and as I was towel drying him. I can also tell he has been losing weight. He's also been having an excess amount of porphyrin around his nose. As I was towel drying him he cleaned his face and left porphyrin behind. Because of the amount I actually thought he might be bleeding, but I couldn't find any sign of actual blood. He's really starting to worry me.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
I don't associate diarrhea with PT, so maybe he has an inner ear infection which is highly treatable with antibiotics...
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »
I got Pasquale out this morning and noticed that he had diarrhea caked on under his anus. So I gave him a quick bath. He's never been a fan of baths, but today he did something he's never done. He nipped me. Both during the bath and as I was towel drying him. I can also tell he has been losing weight. He's also been having an excess amount of porphyrin around his nose. As I was towel drying him he cleaned his face and left porphyrin behind. Because of the amount I actually thought he might be bleeding, but I couldn't find any sign of actual blood. He's really starting to worry me.

Sounds like it's time for a vet visit.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »

Sounds like it's time for a vet visit.

I second (or is it now third) this.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
I made an appointment for next Wednesday. Due to school it's the soonest I could get in.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »
Good call and good luck. Sorry--I know this was not a good time for the expense.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 07:19:33 PM »
I also applied for Care Credit today and was accepted, so I'll be using that to pay for the appointment.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 11:01:05 PM »
That's great news...
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »
It's time. I can't really explain how I can tell, but I can. His vet appointment is tomorrow. It will probably happen then. I don't really know how to put anything into words right now. Thank you, guys, for all your support.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 11:19:54 PM »
I'm so sorry.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
I'm so sorry. We here all know this is a difficult decision. I was hoping for a good outcome, as I know you were also.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »
If and when you're up to it, I'd like to hear what the vet offers for diagnosis. Poor baby. So very sorry for both of you...

P.S. I hope everyone knows that I realize how critical vet care is, and that a vet visit is primary. I share my experiences just to shed light... not circumvent vet expertise...

--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
Thank you, guys.

The vet agreed that it was probably a tumor. One of Pasquale's eyes was dilated while the other was constricted.

I had a close friend with me. She even let me bury him in her backyard.

I miss him, but I know he's not suffering anymore.