Author Topic: Holly is going on one last vet visit today.  (Read 303 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Holly is going on one last vet visit today.
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
I can see it in her eyes. She is ready.

Holly is 30 months old, the oldest rattie I've had and loved. She was going strong for a long time, even after she developed HED. Then she had a tooth that needed to be trimmed every 2 weeks. The latest round of problems has been a tumor that popped up under her neck. If it had stayed at one, things would have been fine. But last week I noticed the one tumor has popped up with 5 more in the same area. They are like little marbles stacked all around each other, and given her age and other health issues I had decided not to have the tumor removed. But you can see in her eyes that she is tired. When she is on free-range time, Holly just sits under the blanket that I drape over my legs, or she sits by the Cheerios container and eats them one at a time, using one paw. I don't think she's had a stroke, since she is eating with one paw, but I think the HED puts her off balance so she balances with one paw on the floor and eats with the other one.

Holly will be very missed in our house. She has been so much fun, and a very funny girl with her antics. With her age and health problems, everyone is very attached to her. Even the people at the vets office love on Holly when she comes to visit. But I've given her the best years that I could!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Holly is going on one last vet visit today.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
I'm so sorry.  *hugs*

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
I am so sorry. We've had so many beloved Hollys on here over the years--I remember several rats, a dog and a guinea pig just for starters. I am sorry because it never seems to get easier--one doesn't get "used to" this. In fact the illness and loss of one heart rat can trigger memories and grief for others long gone.

I'm also sorry because it is you. You are one of the anchors of this site, and one of the very few in down times like holidays and summers. You faithfully maintain the birthday wishes and can always be counted on to ooo and ahh over the new baby or send prayers for the ailing oldster. I also love how you will share stories of a random nature--like massive "booties for grandchildren" project or the boy and girl with the same last name.

Thank you for how you loved Holly while she was here, for your expert care, and for giving her the ultimate gift.  :heart:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline purple rat

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »
So sorry about Holly -- sounds like she was loved by all who knew her.  Rest in peace sweet girl :heart:
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:21:56 PM »
So sorry to read this news.  It's always so hard to say goodbye to a beloved ratty.  I always find myself grateful, even in the throes of grief, for the special gift each rat brings.  It is hard to lose that gift, but somehow it always seems the privilege of the gift outweighs the pain, eventually.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for the kind replies. Holly was definitely a sweet girl, and is being missed by D'Arcy very badly. Even though D'Arcy and Maggie are sisters, I think D'Arcy and Holly had a bond that was like the two of them were the sisters. Holly would spend a lot of her day laying in the hammock, and it seemed like D'Arcy knew that Holly was having trouble walking, and would bring food to her. I'm not really sure if that is what D'Arcy was actually doing, but if someone gave treats to the girls or if D'Arcy was moving food from the food dish and stashing it close to Holly, but Holly never had to go far to eat!

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
I am so sorry. We've had so many beloved Hollys on here over the years--I remember several rats, a dog and a guinea pig just for starters. I am sorry because it never seems to get easier--one doesn't get "used to" this. In fact the illness and loss of one heart rat can trigger memories and grief for others long gone.

I'm also sorry because it is you. You are one of the anchors of this site, and one of the very few in down times like holidays and summers. You faithfully maintain the birthday wishes and can always be counted on to ooo and ahh over the new baby or send prayers for the ailing oldster. I also love how you will share stories of a random nature--like massive "booties for grandchildren" project or the boy and girl with the same last name.

Thank you for how you loved Holly while she was here, for your expert care, and for giving her the ultimate gift.  :heart:

Thank you  :heart:

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Holly. I remember several times where you talked about her. She has lived a good long life with you.  :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Holly. I remember several times where you talked about her. She has lived a good long life with you.  :heart:

Thank you <3