Author Topic: Pregnant rat!  (Read 483 times)

Offline KalaKalla

Pregnant rat!
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:33:15 AM »
So the unthinkable(for me at least)happened.  my really old male somehow got out of his cage and into my female cage. He only got one of my girls but now Iím expecting babies. Of all the rats Iíve ever had have been male but since I only have one really old blind male left(he waddles more then walk) I decided to adopt females. Iíve never wanted to breed my rats so Iíve never looked into this. This Friday will be 21 days. I separated her two days ago and she has clean bedding every day, and Iím using torn up paper towels for her nesting material. Right now she doesnít have a nesting box, Iíve read that some people put one in and some donít. Iíve kept it out so I can keep a close eye on her.

Iím just looking for some tips on how to make this go as smoothly as possible. And also if their are any behaviors that the mom rat does before giving birth?

Thanks!

P.s. My other two girls are getting spayed this weekend. I know that it will help cut down the risk of tumors.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Pregnant rat!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
So sorry this happened. Do you want to keep the mama rat? If not, you could contact Mainely Rat Rescue or some other rescue to foster the whole mob and get the babies adopted out. You might even be able to get mama back after the birth.

When I've fostered pregnant mommies, I've put the largest size of igloo in there and lots of clean paper toweling. The first couple of days I'd leave them alone except to do a head count and check for milk bands when mama comes out to eat/drink/go. If she is upset enough to hurt the babies I'd wait.  I believe the Mainely Rat Rescue site has tips including immediately starting to provide baby mash and the recipe for baby mash. Let us know if you can't find it. But it's soft wet mix of foods with high protein and energy for mom and babies which we served on doubled paper plates. In my experience tame mamas will enjoy breaks and one-on-one time with you, and you can handle each baby every single day. Look online  for a picture of milk bands. Baby ratties are like little pink seethrough beans and you can see a stripe of white around their middles if they are getting milk.

The mommies and babies I've had have been great.  :heart:  Buckle your seat belt if you're used to old boys! Babies have astonishing energy!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Pregnant rat!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »
How are you, mama and youngsters doing? I'm working on taming the mama who was one of the rats abandoned pregnant in an NYC Cemetery!!! :angry9: Her eight tiny white bears are doing GREAT!!!
--Best, Mountaintop--