Author Topic: Mites and PT  (Read 435 times)

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Mites and PT
« on: September 01, 2017, 03:02:23 AM »
Y'all, I've got one cage of 3 rats with possible mites and another cage with 4 rats where one of them is showing signs of a PT as of yesterday/today. I'm tired.

Ivermectin or kitten sized Advantage for mites is what I think I did a few years ago. Is that still right? Should I go ahead and dose all 7 since their cages are near each other?

And PT. Yikes. This is my first rattie with one. I feel awful. The four of them were fosters up until last Saturday when I officially adopted them (they were part of a weird pet store abandonment/murder case and my vet suckered me into taking fosters  ::)  ). Anyways, he's turning in circles, trouble balancing on hind quarters, knuckling his front feet under, looks at me by raising his head straight up and back a little, etc. Put baby food on a plate tonight and he ate that just fine so he's still interested! He manages the water bottle still by holding on to the bars for support but I'm keeping on eye on that. His "brothers" are all idiots and popcorn all over him but he does go between sleeping like the dead and ignoring them to trying to engage a little.

Hopefully the rain won't be too bad this weekend and I can get in to my vet tomorrow but advice on what to expect? I was reading about prednisone as a treatment? What other options are there to keep him happy for a while longer?

Also hi! I'm alive, I swear! And I now have 7 rats in 2 groups that don't like being held! Life is weird here.  ;D

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Mites and PT
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
I'd treat all the rats, because otherwise you're not liable to eliminate the infestation.  The next-generation version of ivermectin is called Revolution, generic name selamectin.  It's easier to use; a single small drop between each rat's shoulder blades will kill off the adults and will persist in their systems long enough to kill off all eggs as they hatch.  This means that you don't have to do those major cage cleanings and the three doses a week apart; one dose of Revolution is usually enough.

I'm so sorry your boy has PT.  It's not a pleasant way to go.  Steroids can help by reducing inflammation.  Once girl of mine had a rather remarkable remission after a shot of dexamethasone, which we were able to extend for a bit with daily doses of prednisolone.  I've also had good luck with bromocriptine.  Unfortunately, there's no cure for PT, but at least you can often get some good time together before the end.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
What BigBen said. So glad he responded. I saw your message right away, and it broke my heart with the good you are doing and the health troubles with your poor furbabies. Been there, done that, and just came back to answer you.

A couple of other thoughts. A really big rat, what BigBen would call a two-hander, can take a couple of drops. I part the fur, apply the drop(s) directly to the skin, and keep them separate until it dries so the buddies don't lick it off. It's a good idea to repeat the mite treatment again in a month or so just to be sure. BigBen is right about it staying in the system but I've had rats with depressed immune systems, for whatever reason, who defied logic and had a recurrence of mites. You can help prevent this by changing bedding and throwing away or dishwashing wooden toys. Then going forward, freeze bedding and natural material toys for a couple of days before you use it. Once we got the frozen and the nonfrozen bags of bedding crossed, and got the worst mite infectation EVER.

I hate PT. I really do. I don't know how far along the rats have been who have benefited from steroids. But they are very expensive. Although BigBen and others have seen miracle turnarounds and bought some weeks with these meds, I have had no luck with them and neither has our current rat vet with her patients. In my experience, turning in circles is very advanced and will not respond. I'd look deeply in your rat's now possibly blind-from-PT eyes, explain letting go and going to a place with no pain, and see if the rat responds and wants to "give up" and be euthanized.

My biggest regrets in choosing euthanasia have been for making the call for mercy too late rather than too soon. But whether you decide to invest in a Hail Mary pass for this poor little one, or decide to help him to the Bridge, your decision will be right and you will be loved and respected here on Goosemoose.  [HUGS, COOKIES and PRAYERS]
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:44:02 PM »
Thanks y'all, I appreciate it.

My vet was out of office Friday/Sat and Labor Day is Monday so it'll be Tuesday before I can actually get in to see her. Tried to get scripts filled by a clinic near me but they couldn't do the dosages and the phone tag turned in to a mess. Sigh. So hopefully I can get up there on Tues, see what my vet advises, and possibly let him go. He's pretty miserable and has taken to sleeping under the fleece by himself. He's really into the baby food but interacting with the other rats has turned sour in the last day and he is just coming across as depressed now.

Even if meds could dramatically improve him, I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm somewhat grateful I don't have a close emotional bond with these four (I really was on the fence about adopting them and just never developed that).

Thanks for mentioning Revolution, BigBen! I didn't think Advantage was right but I couldn't remember what else existed. I have 0 idea where the mites might have come in from since I've eliminated all bedding besides fleece (even the ferret doesn't have Carefresh anymore). Oh well. As long as I can get it solved at this point!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »
Mutewolf, what happened with your poor baby.
--Best, Mountaintop--