Author Topic: Injecting Baytril into Rats *URGENT*  (Read 191 times)

Offline ratty von ratkins

• chatter, chatter, chatter
    • Rattyville USA
Injecting Baytril into Rats *URGENT*
« on: December 26, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »
My 2+ year-old rat is suffering from a pretty bad URI to the point where giving him oral medication is no longer possible due to the stress it causes him. He is breathing heavily all day long and hardly eating. I have a tentative vet appointment for tomorrow to have him PTS. In the meantime, I was wondering whether to try him on injectable Baytril as a last ditch effort. I know it tends to burn the skin if not done right so I don't take this lightly. I have all the supplies such as the injectable 2.27% Baytril, sterile saline, and 27 gauge .5cc needles (which I hope is the appropriate gauge for rats), but I have not done injections in years and I'm very nervous. I don't feel comfortable doing this but I also feel like I should at least make an effort for my beloved ratty in the hopes that he can improve. (If there was an exotics vet in my area that did home visits for this type of thing, I would gladly pay them!) Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I should try this and if so, how to go about it. I haven't found a lot of detailed instructions online regarding injecting rats in the scruff. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:08:54 PM by ratty von ratkins »

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Re: Injecting Baytril into Rats *URGENT*
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »
I would suggest not doing so. I'm currently taking pharmacology at school. Since he has an appointment tomorrow, it would be best to just wait. Antibiotics should be taken at high enough doses and for full recommended time. If not it could lead to the bacteria that wasn't killed to becoming resistant to that drug. Injectable Baytril at that concentration is most likely too strong for a rat. Also it's meant to be injected into the muscle. When you say in the scruff I think subcutaneous injection, which is under the skin and that would burn the skin. 27 gauge needle does sound small enough to be comfortable. I've never seen a 0.5cc needle. The smallest I've seen is 1cc.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 01:05:20 AM »
What was the result of your vet appointment?  I would support the idea of injections, as long as the antibiotic was suitable for the purpose.  I've had rats who violently objected to oral dosing who hardly seemed to notice an injection, and a subcutaneous injection is easy to administer.  (An intramuscular injection should be fairly easy, as well, but an intravenous injection is difficult to give to a rat.)

I'm hoping you didn't have to say goodbye to your beloved boy, but however things have worked out, God bless.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ratty von ratkins

• chatter, chatter, chatter
    • Rattyville USA
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 01:25:10 PM »
Thank you for the thoughtful responses however my ratty died during the night :( but I will keep the helpful info you provided in mind for the future.

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
Sorry for you loss.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:53:41 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Saying goodbye is the hardest part of loving rats. :heart:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
Sovery sorry you lost your lad :(  Just to continue the conversation for a possible future situation, I would recommend nebulization of the baytril and possibly aminophylline instead of sub-q injections.  IM or intramuscular injections are rarely done on our rats as they just don't have the muscle pad to support it.