Author Topic: What to feed temporarily?  (Read 118 times)

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
What to feed temporarily?
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »
Okay, so I was great and expert at ratties years ago.  Now at 66 find myself rescuing dumbos and rexes that must have been let go when a guy was kicked out of a house.  Probably in the house.  Then 1 1/2 months later when people started cleaning it out (relatives of the guy we think) to move in, we started catching rats--some 6-9 months old (5 of those so far) and babies 4-5 weeks (19 so far) over a period of weeks.  I know basically what to put in the shelter/trap (a soft-side carrier inside a larger bird cage with fishing line holding the drop-door open into the house)  ::) and have found great homes for most so far.  But last night we caught the mama (a Siamese) and 8 babies (eventually throughout the day).  I have homes for them but not until Monday if I would foster them.  Another member of the MO Rat Assoc. loaned me a cage big enough for all of them to play and run and hide with a ramp and hammocks (I remember all that).  But some are saying not to give them much protein like meats (which used to be good to give them).  I know things change and research reveals things.  Last night and today they have gotten a little bit of raw carrot, a baby food of banana with several kinds of grains, cooked steel-cut oats with cashew milk, some shelled almonds (plain, no salt or flavoring or oils), a few pecans, apple, banana, Cheerios.  I don't need to buy stuff like the rat biscuits bc I won't have them long.  I can go to the store tomorrow and get more variety if I know what.  I know they love avocado (but not the part close to the skin nor the skin), maybe Kale--but past that I don't remember.  I think they can have cooked brown rice (right?), so I can make that.  Suggestions are appreciated to give them nutrition and variety.  They all started on  antibiotics tonight.  (I have the mama and 8 babies).  Thank you!  Sherry

Offline purple rat

Re: What to feed temporarily?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
22% is the amount of protein found in lab blocks for babies and nursing mothers. I've heard that eggs are a good source. Hopefully someone with more experience with babies will chime in with additional ideas.  Good luck :)
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
Thank you.  I will go to MO Rats and see if anyone will answer.  This used to be a large group here  years ago. 

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:50:36 AM »
Broccoli is good as well, because it contains a lot of protein.  The babies can still drink some milk, though mama, being an adult, is probably lactose-intolerant.  A small amount of meat is fine, as long as it's not the majority of their diet.  If you were going to keep them for any length of time, it would be good to give them Oxbow rat food, which can be found in most pet supply stores, as the bulk of their diet.  (Harlan Teklad or Mazuri blocks would also be fine, but are hard to find in stores.)  Good luck!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n