Author Topic: Winston Salem 1-14-17 to 11-28-17  (Read 239 times)

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
Winston Salem 1-14-17 to 11-28-17
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
I'm at a loss of words. On December 28th, I took my two boys, Winston and Bradley, to the vet to get neutered. I had gotten the call that they were both fine, and had made it through the surgery and that pickup was at 4 (this was at 3PM).  I got to the vet's office at 4:05 pm, but was pulled into the back room...My vet came in the room crying and said that Winston passed not 5 minutes ago...didn't make it through the anesthesia. I was refunded both neuters...and a private cremation/autopsy happened instead. The autopsy results showed no cause of death.

Bradley is doing ok, I don't think at the time he realized that he lost his brother yet, even though they did cuddle after Winston passed. Now he only hangs out in one hammock... I'm waiting for a few weeks before he gets intro-ed to the rest of my crew (Tofu, Spoons, and Trogdor). Nyssiri passed away suddenly a month previous.

Winston was my special character.  I got Winston and Bradley from my friend, Sunny, about 6 weeks ago.  Winston would always come when called, he was such a good boy...I had trained him to take Cool Whip with prune jam in a small syringe so he could take medication by himself.  He would immediately run up to me for cuddles in the morning, and he loved to hang out in the cowl of my sweater, and steal any cracker crumbs that landed his way.  He had an aversion to the water bottle, so he had a small water dish to himself...but he also loved to put his little paw to the water bottle marble and let all of the water drown the cage, with Bradley looking like a soup sop. XD

I'm sure going to miss him lots. :(
Current bubs: Trogdor the Ratinator, Tofu, Spoons and Bradley

Winston, Nyssiri, Phoebe, Ljubica, Freya, Kizonhe, Astrid, Beatrix and O'Xana Play hard!

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Re: Winston Salem 1-14-17 to 11-28-17
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:57:08 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »
so sorry for your loss -- it sounds like he was a sweet guy. :heart: Play hard at the bridge Winston
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
I am so so sorry. It is so hard to lose them so young, and so sweet your vet was crying, handled you so gently and did the refunds. You did the right things, he knew he was loved. I believe some little souls are so perfect they just need to taste of mortality before they can go back Home. :'(
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:25:34 AM »
Oh, what sad news!  I'm so sorry for your loss, especially when you were still just getting acquainted, really.  Anesthesia is always something of a risk; I lost a boy under similar circumstances a couple of years ago.  He survived the neuter, seemed to be coming around, and suddenly he was gone.  It seems doubly unfair for anything to cut a ratty's life short; their lives are so short to begin with.  Take good care of yourself and your surviving ratties. :heart:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:01:58 AM »
How am I just now seeing this? I'm so sorry for your loss, sometimes there are no explanations for why something happens that shouldn't have happened.