Author Topic: Tiny Babies - Size and Nutrition  (Read 621 times)

Offline TrendyK9

Tiny Babies - Size and Nutrition
« on: January 25, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
I'm just curious - how much should 5/6 week old babies (female) weigh? The girls i picked up last night are super tiny, the smallest i've ever had.

I'm feeding them the young rat food from oxbow (i'm crushing the big blocks into little pieces for them lol) plus a little bit of a seed mix as a treat. They're eating fine, drinking water, playing, super active, and appear to be very healthy. They where hand wrestling (er, finger wrestling) with me earlier. They're just so stinking tiny.....

It's been a while since i've had rats. A few years at least, and the smallest i ever had was easily 3x the size of these girls. They're literally like mice! I have to replace the batteries in my scale so i can keep track of their weight, i'm just looking for a ballpark figure of what they should be at to start.

Also - any suggestions on what i can spoil them with? Like i said - it's been a while. I remember when i had my older girls (esp the one with the PT) i would supplement with Ensure, baby food, etc. Is that a good idea for these babies until they're a bit bigger?

Offline purple rat

Re: Tiny Babies - Size and Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:06:24 AM »
I've only had male rats and I know they tend to be bigger than females, but the last time I had 6 week old babies the smallest was 105 grams and the largest 115. They all gained weight very rapidly -- they doubled their weight in about 2 weeks! If you're feeding them the Oxbow young rat food they should be getting enough protein. As far as treats go, I've never had a rat that didn't love peas and corn. Good luck with your babies!!
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:09:45 AM »
Oxbow Young Rat & Mouse is 18% protein, which is not quite enough for babies, which need 23% protein until they are four months old, so supplement their diet with meat and high-protein vegetables, such as edamame and broccoli.  Then continue them at the 18% level until they reach adulthood around nine months.  Then Oxbow Adult Rat will be fine.  Good luck with your new ratlets!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline TrendyK9

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
Would it be better if i ordered the Harlan 24% off amazon?

Just to give an idea, the girls are 40g and 45g (as of last night). So definitely not as old as i thought they where. They are eating solid food, and i have been supplementing them with eggs and baby food (chicken, mixed veg), and they are growing....

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
That's pretty tiny.  Can you post pics of your wee ones, along with something recognizable in size?  like a certain battery etc?  That sounds more like a small 3-4 weeker than 5-6 weeks old.

Offline TrendyK9

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »
Sure! I have plenty of pictures. Most of them blurry, because jumping beans won't stay still....

Hope this helps for size comparison - both of them next to a one cup measuring cup! Er, one of them INSIDE the one cup measuring cup. The one inside it is the smaller of the two BTW. They could both fit inside if they wanted to, but they wouldn't cooperate (of course) so this is the best i got!

I've never had rats this little before (i wasn't joking about calling them mouse-size). I want to make sure i'm doing everything right. I'm giving them another week to settle in, then we'll head to the vet for a wellness check. Normally i would have brought them by now but i wanted them to settle in and it's been so cold.....

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »
they look 4 weeks old.  Teeny tinies.  :)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »
Would it be better if i ordered the Harlan 24% off amazon?

If you don't have to order a forty pound bag in order to get it, sure.*  Otherwise, just keep on with the 18% and supplement.  Alternatively, the Mazuri Rat and Mouse Breeder 06 formula is 23% protein (and likely to come in a smaller bag), but not many stores seem to carry it (in my area, anyway).

Love that photo--they are the most adorable little girls! :heart:

EDIT:  *You can get it in a 5-lb. bag from Mainely Rat Rescue, if they have it in stock.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:40:16 PM by BigBen »
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »
I believe HT can also be purchased in 2, 5, 10, 15, and 20 lb bags from TheRatShop.com in the 14, 18, and 24% protein formulas.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
You can also supplement them now with human baby food (jarred stuff or the dry cereal you can mix up with ensure/water) while you are transitioning them to adult rat food.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 11:54:02 PM »
They are so cute!  :heart:

Offline TrendyK9

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
Amazon had the 5 pound bag of Harlan - though i did find the Mazuri at Petco after i ordered it and it shipped, go figure (but the 2 pound bag was the same price as what i paid for the Harlan so i'm not too beat up over it lol.)

They get jarred baby food twice a day - chicken in the morning and mix veg at night. As much as they'll eat at one time. They love the stuff. 

They're stinking adorable, for sure. Smoaky (the blaze face) is looking more like a little rat but her sister is lagging just a bit (she's about 5g smaller and as they grow seems to be sticking to that.) I think Olli (the rex) is actually a double rex, too. Her coats thinning out as she grows. I'm excited because i've always wanted a double rex (or even full nakie).