Author Topic: Dosing and mixing doxycycline and baytril?  (Read 319 times)

Offline cupcakeidiot

Dosing and mixing doxycycline and baytril?
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:25 AM »
My rats have an epidemic of pneumonia going on right now, so rather than take all 15 of them to the vet, I've ordered baytril 10% oral and doxy 20% powder. I'm quite familiar with using and dosing amoxicillin on my own but I'm rather confused about these two meds. Two of my rats that need it the most are Charlotte (100 grams, she's a young girl) and Freddie (395 grams). I'd love to know what I should dose them and how to the mix the medicines to make it the correct concentration after three days when the stuff arrives. Also, is it safe to give amoxicillin with the two other meds? Thank you for any help, I'm so confused. :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Dosing and mixing doxycycline and baytril?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:35:37 AM »
Your best bet is to consult the Rat Guide.  There are instructions there for how to mix a dose at the correct concentration, and the medicine guide will give you the correct doses per gram of body weight.  It will also tell you about the compatibility of the medicines.  http:\\ratguide.com
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
My rats have an epidemic of pneumonia going on right now, so rather than take all 15 of them to the vet, I've ordered baytril 10% oral and doxy 20% powder. I'm quite familiar with using and dosing amoxicillin on my own but I'm rather confused about these two meds. Two of my rats that need it the most are Charlotte (100 grams, she's a young girl) and Freddie (395 grams). I'd love to know what I should dose them and how to the mix the medicines to make it the correct concentration after three days when the stuff arrives. Also, is it safe to give amoxicillin with the two other meds? Thank you for any help, I'm so confused. :BlueDumboBigEyes:

I can help with mixing/dosing of the 10% Enro but the 20% Doxy is not pure powder like the capsules or 100 mg packets are.  This is meant to dose birds in their water so there is no proper way to accurately mix and dose this.  You can definitely use the amoxi with the baytril.

With the 10% enro, mix 1 ml of enro with 3 ml's of sweet syrup (makes 25 mg/ml enrofloxacin) and the doses would be 0.06 ml twice a day for the wee girl and 0.24 ml for your boy twice a day.

When you said everyone's sick with pneumonia can you eloborate on this?  Did you bring home a new rat then a week later your residents were starting to sneeze and show symptoms?  What symptoms are they actually showing?

Offline cupcakeidiot

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »

I can help with mixing/dosing of the 10% Enro but the 20% Doxy is not pure powder like the capsules or 100 mg packets are.  This is meant to dose birds in their water so there is no proper way to accurately mix and dose this.  You can definitely use the amoxi with the baytril.

With the 10% enro, mix 1 ml of enro with 3 ml's of sweet syrup (makes 25 mg/ml enrofloxacin) and the doses would be 0.06 ml twice a day for the wee girl and 0.24 ml for your boy twice a day.

When you said everyone's sick with pneumonia can you eloborate on this?  Did you bring home a new rat then a week later your residents were starting to sneeze and show symptoms?  What symptoms are they actually showing?

My room was having a bit of a moisture problem and a few of my rats got pneumonia full fledged. The rest have at least a sneeze but it was nothing I couldn't take care of with amox.