Author Topic: Current HED info on supplements needed  (Read 458 times)

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
Current HED info on supplements needed
« on: February 15, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
Hi, when I search for HED issues and supplement the info is years old. I can't seem to find any posts here through search that are recent. Two of my old boys are definitely showing signs of HED. I would like to start them on maybe glucosamine chondroitin / B12 but I have no idea what to buy or how to dose. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.  :)

Thanks so much,
Deblee

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Current HED info on supplements needed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
Two thoughts:   first, glucosamine and chondroitin will help with arthritis, but not with HED, which is a neurological problem.  So B-12 is the way to go.  It can't hurt, and some people have found it to help quite a bit.  I believe that the Rat Guide gives dosing instructions.  Second, pituitary tumors often present initially with symptoms very much much like those of HED, so I would strongly advise you to see a vet to either get it ruled out or to start proper treatment as quickly as possible.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
Thank you BigBen for the info.  My oldest boy (27 months) is showing classic signs of HED. Nothing he is doing resembles a PT at this time. I will definitely keep a close watch. The back feet (especially the right one is dragging occasionally. As he steps forward the back foot slips back and he has to pull it forward and he no longer lifts his tail. He duck walks a little because his feet do not come back under as quickly. Nothing else has changed. His balance is fine. He even stands to get treats. Unfortunately, the other boys bump into him in their excitement and he sits on his butt still reaching for the treat, so his back end is weaker than normal. He eats holding food with both hands. He can still jump which surprises me but I lowered the cage and ramps anyway. He is otherwise very healthy so far. I did call the vet who said G/C MSM and B12 would not hurt him and to use the Rat Guide for dosing info. I have nursed several old boys with HED and a couple with PTs. Neither is fun and I haven't had one with a PT in a few years. So I am watching any videos I can find that show both and if he shows any signs pointing to a possible PT I will take him to the vet immediately. I have never tried supplements but figured if it can't hurt than why not?  I started him on the treatment 3 days ago. I will update this in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks again,
Deb

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
Had a bout of life to deal with and so am catching up with GM.  I'm so glad it's not PT, and do please let us know if the supplements help.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n