Author Topic: Taking apart a DCN to have two singles?  (Read 455 times)

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
Taking apart a DCN to have two singles?
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to split a DCN into two separate cages? Not by closing the middle ramp but separating them completely. My goal is to remove the top cage and set it very close to the floor to accommodate my elderly boys that are having trouble with the ramp up into the DCN. I have 2 new babies that my old boys are not adjusting to and I must keep them apart.  I know I will need to buy an extra top of floor panel and a pan without the cutout. I have already spoken to Midwest. They told me that if I did this the top cage I bring down to the floor would not be stable. So now I am very confused as to why. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone successfully separated a DCN?

Thanks,
Deblee

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Taking apart a DCN to have two singles?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
I built my CN without the stand before. I didnít think it was unstable, so Iím not sure why Midwest thinks it would be.

If theyíre willing to send you a new top piece and floor grate, would they be willing to also send you a new stand? Thatís the only think I can think of theyíre concerned about. But again, it wasnít an issue for me.

My CN was from when they first came out though, so maybe theyíve changed something about the cage I donít know about that will make it less stable.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
To do this, you will need a second top (roof/lid) panel, a second wire mesh floor grate, and another full plastic pan. I know that you can purchase the plastic pans online but where are you going to get the other components? Is Midwest selling them to you directly?

If you have all of the necessary components for each separate cage, they're quite stable. Without the cage base/shelf, one of the units would stand on the pegs in the four corners so you'd want to be careful what you set it on so as not to damage any surfaces.

Why don't you just remove the whole double unit cage from the base and set it directly on the floor and put your elderly boys in the bottom unit?

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »
To do this, you will need a second top (roof/lid) panel, a second wire mesh floor grate, and another full plastic pan.

Rereading your post Deblee, I realize you hadn't asked them about a second top. That is definitely needed to make the cage stable. Without it, you will be needing lots of zip ties to get the middle grate to act as a second top, and even then I don't think it would be as stable as an actual top.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »
Thank you Emymoo and Michael C for your help. After much discussion, measuring of the room for a new cage and major stressing on my part, my hubby and I decided to take apart the DCN and try what Michael C suggested. We actually flipped the cages putting the top cage on the bottom and the bottom on top. I already had the top cage decked out for easy access and safety for my older boys and I didn't want to have to redo the entire cage! It worked well. We also removed the base. I had two flat dollies that my hubby nailed together which the cage fit on perfectly! Now I can roll it where needed when cleaning and it is only about 3 to 4 inches off the floor. My guys can now get up the ramps with ease and if they fall off I have a padded mat under which should prevent injury being only a few inches to the floor. Now all I need to do is buy a new pan without the cutout. It worked out great! No extra cage and very little money spent. Unfortunately for me, I now have to go down on my hands and knees to clean the bottom cage. Sigh.....oh well at least the boys will be comfy and safe!  :thumbsup2:

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
Oh, and the little boys love their big new top cage!  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »
I hope it works well for your boys!