Author Topic: Rat letting medicine leak out of her mouth.  (Read 189 times)

Offline Greyman

Rat letting medicine leak out of her mouth.
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
OK, a week ago my rat was prescribed an antibiotic for a skin infection that has supposedly led to an inflamed lymph node under one armpit (hopefully it's that and not a tumor). Problem is, she doesn't want to take it. While most of the time rats I have will lap up medication, Rescue kind of lets it hang in her mouth, and a good amount just leaks out. Her being a BIG rat and needing 0.18mL per dose doesn't help either. Of course, since it's a big dose for her, I don't do it all at once and tried doing it in increments. At first I thought it would help, now I'm not so sure. I won't be able to get a replacement mix with a different flavor until Monday. Is there any advice to be had? Sweeten it up somehow, maybe? The name of the antibiotic is trimethropim.

Offline purple rat

Re: Rat letting medicine leak out of her mouth.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
I mix meds in with baby food -- sweet potato works well especially if the med has a strong taste.  Banana is good if your rattie likes sweets. Good luck!
proud mama of Spock, Merlin & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley. Goober

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
My D'Arcy was just on Trimethoprim. She hated it! Nothing I tried mixing it into would help. I finally put just a bit of blueberry pie filling (canned, low-sugar) in a dish and mixed in the medication. She gobbled it right up!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
We put things in artificial whipped cream. They go nuts. Also check out the Lilspaz 68 video showing how she medicates rats, It's genius.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
That is a large dose.  Giving it in increments is a very good idea.

In addition to the tips already mentioned, another trick is to take up some maple syrup into the syringe after loading the med.  That way, what hits the tongue first is sweetness, and it makes the bitterness of the medication more palatable.

In addition, you need to squirt the med into the back of your girl's throat, so that she swallows it by reflex. Once the syringe is loaded, hold her facing you, in your off hand, with thumb and forefinger around the throat and the other fingers wrapped around the belly, with the front paws between the index finger and the middle finger.  This gives you a great deal of control.  Then, with your good hand, slide the tip of the syringe into the side of your rat's face, that is, into the gap (diastema) between the incisors and the molars, angle the opening of the syringe towards the back of the throat, and plunge.  If you do it right, she will automatically start swallowing in quantity.  (This is a reflex left over from babyhood.  I'll never forget the post on GM by a guy who was trying to get milk into a pup; he was finding it difficult, until he suddenly discovered the pup's "power-suck reflex.")

Good luck!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n