Author Topic: Rat letting medicine leak out of her mouth.  (Read 66 times)

Offline Greyman

Rat letting medicine leak out of her mouth.
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
OK, a week ago my rat was prescribed an antibiotic for a skin infection that has supposedly led to an inflamed lymph node under one armpit (hopefully it's that and not a tumor). Problem is, she doesn't want to take it. While most of the time rats I have will lap up medication, Rescue kind of lets it hang in her mouth, and a good amount just leaks out. Her being a BIG rat and needing 0.18mL per dose doesn't help either. Of course, since it's a big dose for her, I don't do it all at once and tried doing it in increments. At first I thought it would help, now I'm not so sure. I won't be able to get a replacement mix with a different flavor until Monday. Is there any advice to be had? Sweeten it up somehow, maybe? The name of the antibiotic is trimethropim.

Offline purple rat

Re: Rat letting medicine leak out of her mouth.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
I mix meds in with baby food -- sweet potato works well especially if the med has a strong taste.  Banana is good if your rattie likes sweets. Good luck!
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
My D'Arcy was just on Trimethoprim. She hated it! Nothing I tried mixing it into would help. I finally put just a bit of blueberry pie filling (canned, low-sugar) in a dish and mixed in the medication. She gobbled it right up!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
We put things in artificial whipped cream. They go nuts. Also check out the Lilspaz 68 video showing how she medicates rats, It's genius.
--Best, Mountaintop--