Author Topic: Eye could use some advice! (Get it? Har har.)  (Read 354 times)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Eye could use some advice! (Get it? Har har.)
« on: May 10, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
I was waiting for another store to open today when I dropped into Petco to just...kill some time. There I found this little lad with a porphyrin- and blood-covered spot where his eye used to be, and after a quick chat with the employee and manager (who said "Oh, a little neosporin will probably take care of it :doh:), they let me just take him so I could get him some help.

So, meet Calico Jack, named (of course) after the pirate :yelcutelaugh:

They put new rats in the tank the night before (and said he was fine when they put him in) but apparently someone didn't appreciate getting buddies and took it out on Jack here. Without knowing who was responsible, I didn't feel comfortable getting one of them as a companion for him (knowing my luck, I'd have gotten the one who was responsible for his eye!).

The vet gave him a dose of an anti-inflammatory and put him on antibiotics, and we're going to recheck in a week and see if he needs surgery (I'm betting he will - according to the vet, the 'deflated' eye is still in there, so I assume it'll have to come out). If they're going to put him under for his eye, I'm going to ask if they can neuter him at the same time (so that hopefully once he's healed up and no longer fertile, I can get him some girlfriends so that he's not all alone!).

Does this all seem like a reasonable course of action? Between Daisy the old lady terrier and my other rats, I've dealt with some atypical medical issues, but this is my first missing eye, so I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline purple rat

Re: Eye could use some advice! (Get it? Har har.)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »
What a cutie pie he is! And how wonderful of you to take him in  :bow:
I haven't dealt with eye issues before, but your plan of action seems reasonable.
Good luck with your little man :D
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
He's really super sweet. I feel awful forcing medication into rats who know me, and I feel even more awful forcing medication into rats who've barely been handled and who don't know me at all, but he's surprisingly forgiving! I managed to get the meds into his mouth this morning, then he curled up in a sulking ratball under my chin and bruxxed a while.

He also boggled yesterday, which looks strangely adorable with just one eye :yelcutelaugh:

And he wrestled with my hand a bit in the cage yesterday, popcorning all around like it was the best game ever.

He's amazingly sweet for just being two days home.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
He is so cute!  :heart:
Current bubs: Trogdor the Ratinator, Tofu, Spoons and Bradley

Winston, Nyssiri, Phoebe, Ljubica, Freya, Kizonhe, Astrid, Beatrix and O'Xana Play hard!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »
RooRat, he's home! Clearly!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:55:27 AM »
He's definitely making himself right at home :yelcutelaugh:

I'm planning ahead in case surgery is necessary (which seems likely, since his eye is looking a bit angrier instead of better). I'm going to get a few quotes from local vets, but the vet I used when I lived 2 hours away is also on my list of vets to get quotes from (I trust them, they were great with Pyp, and while Daisy was a dog and not a rat, she was also very high-risk for anesthesia and they knew exactly what to do).

I know it's not ideal to stress out a rat with travel before surgery, but I really do trust them, and I have family up there I can stay with (so I could go a day or two early, let him settle a bit, then take him in for surgery), so I want to get a quote. Anyway, if I do use them, I don't want to haul his huge cage up there, but he's currently in the "What can I chew/destroy?" discovery phase, so I don't feel comfortable using a plastic-bottomed cage, especially since we'll be away from home. I figured since he'd be going for surgery, a temporary hospital tank perhaps wouldn't be the worst thing (he's a monkey - climbs everything, and doesn't always exercise care when descending :yelcutelaugh:). What size tank should I plan to buy if I end up needing one?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
Good news - no surgery yet! The vet says that since his eye doesn't appear to be infected or weepy or anything, he wants to hold off on deciding about surgery until Jack is a little bigger. That shouldn't take long, though - his weight nearly doubled in a week!  :shocked2:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline purple rat

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
I love that picture with his head in the glass :BlueDumboSmile:
Keeping fingers crossed that he won't need surgery

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
It got worse the next day :yelcutelaugh:

"Yep, definitely mine."

(I brew my own iced tea and don't add sugar or anything. He was also mostly after the ice - he loves crushed ice cubes.)

His eye doesn't look worse, but when I am able to get a look at it, there's a bit of weepiness, and I definitely see a dark colored blob that could be his deflated eyeball? I don't know. I know the vet said we should wait a bit to let him get bigger, but I'm so worried that it'll abscess, even with the antibiotics. An abscess in an eye socket seems like it's just asking for the infection to spread to his brain. Am I worrying too much?

He doesn't act like it bothers him, but he also never stops moving when he's out for play time. I mean never stops moving. From cage to carrier to box 1 to box 2 to all over me to grooming my hair (his new favorite hobby ::)) to leaping at the windowsill to running back to his cage, he just keeps going all the time. I've never had a rat, baby or otherwise, that was this go go go. He doesn't stop! I can't even pet him - he doesn't want to hold still long enough and squirms until I let him go  :yelcutelaugh:  Of course, me being the worrywart that I am, I'm wondering if perhaps his eye is bothering him and making him a little crazy and that's expressing itself as constant energy. I know there's no way to know for sure, but does that seem at all plausible? Or am I just crazy?  :yelcutelaugh:

Whatever's going on, he's super fun. He wrestles with my hand, popcorns around, climbs and runs and investigates and tries to gnaw on my bandaids (ow, no please!) and is finally accepting a variety of treats from me. He doesn't love yogies, though, which is so weird to me. He'll eat them, but he's not like "Oh boy a yogie!!!" like all my other rats were. He's a strange one. But he's my strange one :heart:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline purple rat

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »
That picture is even more adorable than the last one :yelcutelaugh:
I'm a worry wart too, so I'd probably be worrying about an abcess too. Having said that, if he's on antibiotics and you're checking the area frequently for signs of infection, it might be best to wait like the vet suggests  -- rats do seem to have amazing abilities to heal.
I'm glad you're enjoying your silly little superactive fur baby :laugh: