Author Topic: TMI: Senior Cat Sneeze  (Read 147 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
TMI: Senior Cat Sneeze
« on: May 26, 2018, 12:14:00 AM »
On the good news side, between special diet, meds and insulin, our now 14-year old Maine Coon was healed of diabetes.  :shocked2: I didn't know that was even possible but the vet said that happens. His appetite is up, even without meds, and he only barfs when his owner, back home from school, forgets and leaves food on the kitchen counter or in her room where he can get to it.

The last couple of days, he has had a cold. He has been treated in the past for allergies bordering on asthma, but (TMI, I know) his discharge was always clear. But today I saw him sneeze and it was a short line of thick yellow. I only saw that color/texture once, decades ago, when the Iowa state vet had me visit a cattery full of FIP, so it scared me. My last Holbrook rat and our car both died this week, though, so I may be overreacting. I've seen this in my husband's sinus infections, but what does it mean for a cat?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: TMI: Senior Cat Sneeze
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »
Sorry, I've been on vacation!  I'm still catching up...

First, hooray for healing from diabetes!  That's awesome!  :)

It could mean the same thing it means in people, which is usually a sinus infection of some kind.   I highly recommend adding Lysine to his food.  I buy this one:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OSNOM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a tiny scoop in his food is enough.  It's pretty well odorless and tasteless, and helps boost the immune system.  It will help prevent further infections!  If, after a couple days, the sneezing isn't any better, and he still has a colored discharge, then get to the vet for antibiotics.  If he's had allergies in the past, then that's likely what you're dealing with now, and his body just needs a little extra help to kick any infection caused by allergies to the curb.  :)