Author Topic: Dry tail?  (Read 224 times)

Offline sujamma

Dry tail?
« on: May 31, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
My 6 month boy, Beppe, has an odd looking tail, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea if it was normal or not? He used to have mites a few months ago, but so did his brother, and his brother's tail is smooth. They're both mite-free now, though, as far as I can tell. Pictures under cut.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Re: Dry tail?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:25:27 AM »
Looks like built up scales. You could soak his tail in warm water and then use a tooth brush and brush away from his body. Hes a cute little guy~

Offline sujamma

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
Hmm, okay! I didn't know that was a thing that happened to ratties. Is there a reason why it builds up, like a skin condition? Also, will I need to do this often?

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
Well... Your little boy isn't cleaning his tail. There might be other reasons, but that's the one I know of. I forgot to put it in my original post, but using mild soap with the warm water and tooth brush helps. It depends on Beppe for how often you'll need to do this. If he decides to clean his tail or not  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline sujamma

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »
Gaaah, messy Beppe! Alright, thank you so much!! I cleaned his tail last night and all sorts of gunk and flakes came off, and he seemed not to mind me wiping it all off either. He looks a lot better now.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 11:48:47 PM »
You're welcome! I'm glad he doesn't mind. I'm also glad my advice helped.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »
Even boys that otherwise groom themselves quite well can let their tails go.  Apparently, past a certain point, the other rats in the cage decide that if he isn't going to worry about it, they're not going to help him out, either.  Now that his tail is clean again, Beppe may well start to take better care of it again, but don't hold your breath.  Like their human counterparts, male rats tend to be slobs.  :yelcutelaugh:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »
I have had two rats who were bad tail cleaners... the current one is a girl, though!

One thing that maybe helps (my girl at least) is rubbing some coconut oil on her tail. It is apparently tasty, so it moisturizes AND inspires her to clean it at least a little. :)
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.