Author Topic: tumor options?  (Read 104 times)

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
tumor options?
« on: June 28, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »
Hi wonderful people,

Here's the TL;DR:
Are there any meds/supplements/voodoo dances that might help slow/shrink a "benign proliferative process" fibroma in my girl's abdomen?

Here's the long-winded version:

Phoebe is approx. 16 months old. On April 23, 2018, she had surgery to remove (what was later determined to be) a benign proliferative fibroma from her abdomen (going from uterus toward vulva), which had been causing some vaginal prolapse. She was spayed at the same time. During the surgery, the vet was only able to de-bulk the tumor, as some had become too entwined with her urinary tract and could not be removed. Subsequent check-ups over the next 4-5 weeks (...we had to go back more than usual, because she pulled open her incision...) showed no signs of the mass growing/returning. She was on enrofloxacin, meloxicam, and metronidazole (added after she opened the incision) up until her last check-up on May 31st, 2018. At that point, she was given a clean bill of health -- the leftover bits of the mass had shown no signs of growing again.

Earlier this week, I noticed that Phoebe's abdomen looked a little larger, and I could see a slight mound above her urethra. Monday, when I picked her up and touched her belly to gently inspect the area, she squeaked in discomfort (she's not a squeaker). She has also seemed to have less bladder control these last couple of days, and tinkles on me more than usual.

Vet yesterday took another x-ray, showing that the mass seemed to have grown since the last visit. There was also a spot of mineralization, but the vet said it was unclear whether it was on the mass or if it was a bladder stone (but felt like it was likely to be on the mass).

She prescribed Phoebe .08ml of meloxicam 2x day to help her discomfort, and is looking into whether there are any other medications that may help to slow/stop the growth of the tumor-- such as bromocriptine or cabergoline.

Could bromocriptine or cabergoline be effective (and safe)? Are there any other medications/treatments we should consider to keep Phoebe comfortable for as long as possible? Someone on the "Real Rat Lovers Want to Know" Facebook group suggested Lovastatin, but I can't find much about it.

Another surgery is financially doable, but seems like it wouldn't be worth if it the mass is growing back to problem-size in two months (especially because since she is an incision chewer, last time she had to wear a vest that she hated).

Also, is there anything I can/should do in case the mineralization is a bladder stone, and not on the mass?

Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: tumor options?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 05:19:57 PM »
I don't know if bromocriptine or cabergoline would work on that type of tumor, since they work by disrupting a tumor's lactate production, as I recall.  I just don't know anything about that type of tumor.

If it's a glucose-dependent tumor, you could try to starve it by giving Phoebe a diet very low in or free of carbohydrate, keeping protein at 14 or 15% of total calories, and the rest of her calories as fat.  I've been learning a lot about human nutrition lately, and a low-carb ketogenic diet is being looked at as part of cancer treatment in human beings.  One oncologist recommends such a diet as an adjuvant to chemo or radiation; however, she's not certain whether it would have enough of an effect on its own.

From my experience with PT, I know that a steroid can shrink some tumors, so that might be something else to try.  Dexamethasone is fast-acting but short-lived, and prednisolone slower to act but longer-lasting in effect.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
Re: tumor options?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »
Thanks!

Yeah, vet didn't think cabergoline or bromowhatsit would do anything. I have cut her carbs (most of the cage needed to go on a diet, anyway) and am giving her some CLA, flaxseed oil, and CBD oil (without THC) every day (all the things I could get my hands on that some studies have shown slow/shrink tumors). Who knows if it will help, but it at least doesn't seem to be growing fast or anything, and she is still acting her perky self.
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.