Author Topic: Maggie (02-02-16 to 07-31-2018)  (Read 231 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Maggie (02-02-16 to 07-31-2018)
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
Today I said goodbye to my sweet girl, Maggie. Now I have just her sister D'Arcy left.

I got Maggie and D'Arcy from one of the vet techs at the vet's office. She had bred their parents and was adopting the babies out, and had chosen these two specifically for me. Maggie was a top-ear, normal hair Russian blue with a white blaze on her face, and D'Arcy was a dumbo-earred, normal hair black hoodie. These two girls LOVED each other! At first I thought Maggie was the alpha, but D'Arcy was totally the boss of the cage.

Maggie had started losing weight a few weeks ago. I tried tempting her with foods that would help her put some weight back on. It worked for a bit, but then the weight started coming off again. A trip to the vet was not a happy one. The vet said she could hear something in Maggie's lungs that was not URI, or any other respiratory infection. Doctor says it could be cancer, but she didn't think Maggie was ready to go just yet. Her eyes were still very bright and she was still full of spunk. So Prednisone was prescribed, twice a day for a week, then once a day for a week, then once a day for the remainder of Maggie's time with us. Maggie made it just one week.

Last night when it was time for Maggie's medicine, she refused it. She refused any of her favorite foods. Thinned peanut butter, Cool Whip, chocolate syrup, Cheerios. Nothing would tempt her. This morning was the same. So this was her telling me she was done, she had had enough, and was ready to go.

Calling the vet's office and talking to the tech who I had adopted Maggie from was very difficult. She was trying to hold back her tears, I could hear it over the phone. Walking into the exam room, the tech followed us in and gave Maggie some scritches and cuddles before she left the room. I know this visit was as difficult for her as it was for me. And of course, wouldn't you know it, after waiting 2 1/2 years for Maggie to give me some boggles, she finally did it today! Bruxing was always common with her, she always bruxed. But the boggles... not one until today.

Maggie was born on February 3, 2016, and came to live with me on March 17th, 2016. Since it was Saint Patrick's day, I decided to give the girls Irish names.  D'Arcy means Dark Haired Beauty, and she certainly is. Maggie means Pearl, and she sure was. My lovely Russian blue pearl. She will be very missed by all of us.

(I wish I had pictures to share here. I do have a lot of Maggie, but I still haven't figured out how to get them from my phone onto this forum!)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Maggie (02-02-16 to 07-31-2018)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
Oh, I'm so sorry!  It's so hard to say good-bye, sometimes. :heart:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline purple rat

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:07:34 PM »
So sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. Play hard at the bridge Maggie  :heart:
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »
Thank you, BigBen and Purple Rat. It was as difficult for me and D'Arcy as it was for all the people at the vet's office. They all knew she was born at one of the tech's homes, and felt a special closeness to both of them.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
So sorry.  :'(
--Best, Mountaintop--