Author Topic: In memoriam Louise (9/5/2015 to 8/1/2018)  (Read 212 times)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
In memoriam Louise (9/5/2015 to 8/1/2018)
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
My beautiful sweet Louise is gone.  She was one month shy of her third birthday, and I was hoping . . . but the congestive heart failure got to her.  It's been clear for several weeks that Louise didn't have that much more time.  She had developed HED and was showing the weight loss typical of old age in rats.  She also developed a small, slow-growing mammary tumor.  But none of these seemed to trouble her; it was when she developed congestive heart failure two weeks ago that she began to slow down and to slip away.

Louise was a surrender to Mainely Rat Rescue.  I seem to remember it was because her owner had moved and could no longer keep rats.  She came to me last summer, when the only rat left was my beautiful sweet Bartholomew, and the cage seemed so empty.  I started talking with MRR and decided to take some of their problem rats, who were not good candidates for adoption.  In Louise's case, it was her age that was against her.  I also volunteered to take three boys, one of whom was a bad biter, and the adoption co-ordinator at MRR thought that Louise and the boys might make a good combination.  It turned out she was right; the rats were introduced two or three days before I picked them up, and the boys' fosterer was delighted that Louise immediately put Matt, the biter, in his place.  It seemed to do him a lot of good.

Louise was always feisty.  She had strong opinions about what she did or did not like, and made them known.  She was decidedly not in favor of out time, so she and I didn't have that much one-on-one time.  She enjoyed being stroked in the cage, however, and it was my privilege to give her and "her" boys a safe, loving home.  She helped me get Matt to stop biting, and under her influence he has mellowed considerably over the past twelve months.  Underneath her feistiness, Louise was a very sweet girl, which is probably part of how she managed to get through to Matt.  A lot of his biting was from fear, and she somehow got him to relax and showed him that there were better ways of taking care of himself.  She loved running around the cage, and the onset of HED didn't stop her.  I rearranged things so she wouldn't have to climb the ramp, and she enjoyed pulling herself around on that level.

The boys apparently sensed that they didn't have all that much more time with her, because although they prefer hanging out on the upper level, they would take turns cuddling with Louise down below.  I wasn't sure how Martha would get along with her after Mary died, but they actually got along quite well, and I saw Martha being quite solicitous towards Louise on a couple of occasions.  Louise just somehow inspired friendship like that.  This morning, when she showed no interest in the morning treat, I knew it was time, so I took her to the vet's.  I showed her body to the others after we got back, and they each paid their respects.  Matt in particular gave her fur several licks and tried to drag her into his hideout.  :'(

At least the three of them have one another for comfort, and I am in the process of adopting some new rats to keep them company.  But the cage just won't be the same without Louise. :love9:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Re: In memoriam Louise (9/5/2015 to 8/1/2018)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 09:24:51 PM »
Oh dear, Ben. I am so sorry to read of this. It sounds like these ratties needed you, and Matt needed Louise.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »
oh no, I'm so sorry you're dealing with yet another rattie loss :BlueDumboBigEyes: I remember you posting about her when you got her, because I thought it was cool that we shared the same name. How good of you to give a second chance to these ratties and provide them with such understanding, patience, and love.
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
So sorry. Feisty old ladies are the best!
--Best, Mountaintop--