Author Topic: Last vet trip for D'Arcy  (Read 194 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Last vet trip for D'Arcy
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »
Today I will take D'Arcy to the vet for the last time. I judge my rats happiness on 3 things and when only one happiness is left then it is time to say goodbye. One happiness is playing and are they still getting enjoyment from playtime. No, she isn't. Tumors are preventing her from having a good playtime. The second happiness is eating and if they are still able to enjoy their treats. No, she is not able to sit up and hold her food in both hands in a healthy ratty position. She now lays stretched out on her tummy and holds her food in one hand. And the third happiness is cuddling. Does she still enjoy cuddling with me? Yes, she does. That's why saying goodbye today will be so difficult for me. It's not about my happiness, and I don't want to second guess myself if I'm making the right decision for her today. With pets, sometimes you're never totally certain when it's the right time to do the right thing for them. Which is why I use the 3 happinesses. One happiness is not enough.

Offline purple rat

Re: Last vet trip for D'Arcy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:38:40 PM »
I'm so sorry about D'Arcy - it's never easy to make this decision :'(. Hugs to you
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
And now to look silly, I forgot that I had posted this yesterday. I honestly thought I was going to have to help her cross the bridge, but the vet said after seeing how D'Arcy was acting in the exam room, she really doesn't feel that D'Arcy is quite ready to leave us. She said she noticed D'Arcy is being very gentle with her tumors and agreed they are probably sore. So she asked me, if I wasn't really ready to let her go, would I be willing to take her back home with some medication? Now, who among us is REALLY ready to let their fur babies go? I certainly never have been!

So D'Arcy came back home with me, and is on medicam to help ease the soreness of the tumors. Yes, her eyes are still very bright, and the soreness of the largest tumor could be why she is not playing and walking as much. She is beyond running now, so walks or trots. So, she got lots of special treats yesterday (french fries, chocolate chips, and pizza). She doesn't usually get those kinds of treats, so I was thinking "she is leaving me, so she gets special treats today".

But thank you for your kind words. No, it is never an easy decision to make. Thankfully, I didn't have to make that one yesterday. I'm hoping with the medicam easing the soreness of the tumor, D'Arcy may have a couple more months with me. She is a sweet gentle elderly lady of 31 months, which is just over 75 years to a human.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
It's always hard, but you're right; it should be the happiness of the rat that is the determining factor.  I'm glad you will get to have more time with D'Arcy, and glad that the vet was able to make it possible.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline purple rat

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:51:17 PM »
Yay- I'm glad you get to have more time with D'Arcy  :)  Something similar happened with my Neo, and I got to have an additional month with him. I spoiled him and let him have all his favorite treats ;D
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin