Author Topic: identifying gender  (Read 102 times)

Offline gymnwriter

identifying gender
« on: September 05, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »
I adopted three boys (I hope!) on Monday, but at least one of them looks like it could be a girl. (The last one - will have to click on link to see - is clearly a boy; I'm just including him so he doesn't feel left out.)

https://scontent.ffar1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40815580_10215014620912827_5036018625379565568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e0a26e2cf6ea5845656e04c479005546&oe=5C2BEA96

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: identifying gender
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 01:59:48 PM »
If you think you have a girl, it is vital to separate her as soon as possible, in case she's not pregnant yet.  Those are awfully young rats for risking a pregnancy, and if one is a girl and you can keep her from getting pregnant, that would do her a solid favor.

The challenge is that bucks' inguinal canals never close, so it is possible for them to retract their testicles when nervous or scared.  Naturally, if you can catch them all in a relaxed moment, and they all are showing testicles, you can relax.  But just in case, here are some sure-fire tips.

Firstly, if you see nipples, it's a doe; bucks don't have nipples, any more than does have testicles.

Secondly, you can take the guy you're sure of, and compare the distance from his urethra to his anus with the same distance on the others.  If they are all the same distance apart, they are boys.  If the urethra on one of them is noticeably closer to the anus, it's a girl.  You can also get a buck's penis to pop out if you manipulate it gently, whereas a doe's urethra is already all the way out.

Third, you can gently feel the urethra, to see if there's a bone under there.  Bucks have a penis bone (os penis or baculum), which does, of course, lack.

Lastly, if you notice a purplish vaginal opening near the urethra, you've got a doe in heat (it can be hard to spot if she's not in heat).  Check late at night, around midnight or so.  Other signs of heat are arching the back down to raise the rump, and fluttering the ears (it's hilarious to see, if you don't have to worry about possible pregnancy).  The good news is that if you can catch a doe in heat, she's obviously not pregnant yet.  The bad news is that, unless you catch her right away, rats can mate in a couple of seconds.

I'm no good at judging from photographs, but the first photo may be a girl, and the second may be a boy.  If you have any doubt, get the (suspected) girl to the vet right away to be evaluated for pregnancy and a possible emergency spay.  As I mentioned, it's not good for a doe to get pregnant that young.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:09:55 PM by BigBen »
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »
Here are some visual aids:

Offline gymnwriter

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
Thanks, Ben! I do have them separated. I'll check them tonight, and get any suspected females to the vet ASAP.

Thank you! Been a wild week.  :shocked2: :doh:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
I can only guess.  Good luck! :thumbsup:

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »
Good luck! Ben gave you some awesome information! I haven't tried sexing ratties, because I've gotten all adult rats, and the males I had were already neutered. One time I asked my vet to sex one of my girls, just to be sure she wasn't a boy. I was in the clear! Let us know the outcome, please?

And yes, seeing a doe in heat IS hilarious!! My Molly went into heat, and I knew it when I saw her stance. Her brother, Frankie, had put a paw on her back and she did the dip-her-back, rump-up, ears-vibrating things. Poor Frankie, having been neutered, was so confused why she was doing that!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »
My first mischief contained two intact does, Anne and her daugher Elizabeth.  It didn't take long for them to figure out that Michael and his brother Gabriel were neutered.  As willing as the boys were, there was simply a limit to how cooperative they could be, lol!

When I took in two neutered foster bucks, Manitoba and Brunswick, Anne and Elizabeth went crazy.  Anne was so excited around the new lads that I thought the buzzing of her ears was going to let her take off and fly around the room.  She was in heat practically every day for over two months.  Manitoba was almost three times Elizabeth's size, but one night when everyone was having out-time on the bed, she grabbed him by the cheek and tried to get him to have his wicked way with her.  The two girls became accomplished escape artists in their efforts to visit the foster cage.  Eventually they did figure out that the foster boys were indeed neutered, but it was very interesting, and quite hilarious, there for a while, lol!  :BlueDumboSmile: :yelcutelaugh: :rattysmiley: :BlueDumboSmileTongue:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:22:54 PM by BigBen »

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
LOL!!  That's a funny story, Ben!   :yelcutelaugh: :hyper: