Author Topic: Rats vs Min Pins  (Read 57 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Rats vs Min Pins
« on: September 06, 2018, 10:35:07 PM »
So my roommate, Chandler, took in his father's two dogs, because he couldn't take care of them any more. Hershey is 13 and Stan is 12. They are both pure-breed Miniature Pinschers. Hershey is a sweet old lady, while Stan is a loud coward. They have met my rats briefly outside the cage. Hershey will sniff out of curiosity and then ignore them. I have had Hershey on my lap while Irish was on the back of the chair. Once Rutabaga stepped on Hershey and the old lady only checked to see what it was. When Stan met them his lower jaw shook in a kind of "I want to get it" way.

Recently, my bedroom door was finally fixed, so we didn't need the doggy gate anymore. The other day, I didn't think of closing the door, so Hershey came walking in. I watched her carefully and she behaved herself. At one point she got a little close for Rutabaga, so my brave ratty 'lunged' at Hershey through the cage bars. Hershey is so blind that she didn't notice. I was amused. Yesterday Hershey joined the rats to snack on frozen peas. She and Irish went nose to nose. For the first time I wasn't holding either of them. Irish grabbed some peas and went to stash them. I was very proud of Hershey. Later then night Stan crept in, not sure if it was okay. As I watched him, the girls watched him. According to Zucchini, he was sniffing too close to the cage. She lunged at him and he yipped and ran out of the room.

Today I was adding a new water bottle, lava ledge, and toys. Once again Hershey was a very good girl. Once again, Zucchini didn't like Stan. This time he backed up and yapped. He then ran out of the room barking. I was laughing and had to tell my husband that he was barking for a decent reason. Normally the reason is to be loud. It seems like Zucchini and I agree that Stan is not to be trusted around them.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Rats vs Min Pins
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
We have a Labrador and two cats in the house.  The Lab seems more curious than anything else, and if she were to cause harm it would be from over-eagerness to play.  On the other hand, I'm not sure I trust the cats at all.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Rats vs Min Pins
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
Many years ago I had two dogs. One was a mutt (Cairn-Scot cross) and the other was a Greyhound. Paddy the mutt was ok around my rats. He would let them go for rides around the room on his back. He was more curious than harmful, even though he was a terrier. Tippy, the Greyhound, was not to be trusted. Greyhounds are sight-hounds and are taught to give chase. She was a retired racer so chasing was a lot of fun for her. But one day, she caught and killed a mouse in our backyard. So when I started adopting and rescuing rats, she was never allowed around them.

Right now I have a cat, Abby. When she was a kitten I wanted to introduce her to my rats, so she would know they are supposed to be here. But after 2 times of introductions, I felt she was unsafe to let her meet my ratties any closer than the cage bars between her and them. But now she is older and has no interest in them, but I still wouldn't trust her.