Author Topic: Ollie's fatty deposit  (Read 827 times)

Offline RattyRodent

Ollie's fatty deposit
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »
I had mentioned in an earlier post ("Sluggish") that our boy Ollie had been to the vet to check out a peculiar growth on his hind leg. Ollie got over his sluggishness quickly but we wanted him checked out anyway. The first time the vet used a needle to extract some fluid, but it didn't make the growth any smaller. We took him a second time and got some antibiotic medicine. We were told that it's not a tumor, but a fatty deposit. The words "infection" and "inflammatory cells" were used.

Anyway, the medicine didn't seem to make the growth any smaller, but Ollie is in good spirits. The vet said to have that growth removed would cost around $500 - and that's without a blood test. (With a blood test it would be closer to $800.) We thought about trying to find another vet, but we wonder if Ollie might be too old to survive an operation anyway. (He's two and a half.) The growth doesn't seem to bother or hinder him. What do you think?

Offline purple rat

Re: Ollie's fatty deposit
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:28 PM »
That's a tough decision to make given his age and the fact that the tumor isn't in a place that's affecting his mobility or his ability to eat/drink/play.  I had a boy that age with a testicular tumor that lived 3-4 months with a great quality of life until it started to affect his mobility and I had to put him to sleep.  He had a brother about the same age that had an abdominal tumor removed, but even though he survived the surgery, it seemed to take too much of a toll on him and he died a few weeks later.
Good luck with Ollie and let us know what you decide. 
proud mama of Spot, Twitch and Nimbus

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin, Spock, Streaker

Offline RattyRodent

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »
According to the vet, it's not a tumor.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 07:23:53 AM »
I realize your initial post said that it wasn't a tumor, but the risk of infection and possible adverse effects from anesthesia can be a problem with any type of surgery.  Good luck with Ollie :)
proud mama of Spot, Twitch and Nimbus

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin, Spock, Streaker

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
If it's not a tumor, not growing crazy out of control. and not affecting his quality of life or mobility I would leave it alone especially since he is an older manrat. If it was thought to be malignant and removing it would improve/extend his quality of life is when I would have the surgery done.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:41:02 PM »
I agree with Mamarat.  There's no reason to remove the growth.  At two-and-a-half, he could be fine with surgery, but general anesthesia is a risk, regardless of age, and the risk does increase with age.

I had a three-year-old boy who survived the operation just fine and seemed to be doing well, but he suddenly went into respiratory arrest in the recovery room and died before the vet could do anything.  He was very healthy and should have been fine.  I still miss that beautiful sweet boy.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »
I agree with Mamarat, also. I have one girl left, and she has two tumors. At her age of 32 months, I'm not comfortable with her having surgery. Right now she is doing as well as we can make her, and doesn't seem to be too bothered with her tumors. She is slowing down, but who wouldn't at her age! If she were a human, she would be between 75 and 90 years old. I'll just keep on loving on her until she tells me she is ready to join her sister, Maggie, and her adopted sister, Holly, over the rainbow bridge.