Author Topic: Labored breathing sounds  (Read 73 times)

Offline RattyRodent

Labored breathing sounds
« on: November 07, 2018, 11:18:42 PM »
One of our boys, Finn, has been making labored breathing sounds for quite some time. It tends to be off and on. He'll go through periods without making the sounds at all, but it's still too frequent. He otherwise seems lively and healthy, considering he's around 2 and a half years old. It doesn't help matters that sometimes after playtime he doesn't want to go back in the cage so I'll have to corner him somewhere which, I know, adds to the stress. We finally took him to the vet today. The vet thought he had asthma and gave him a shot in the butt. I was told it was steroids and antibiotic and that he would improve within the hour. No such luck. He's still making the breathing noises off and on. Any suggestions?

Offline RattyRodent

Re: Labored breathing sounds
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if vets know what they're doing.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
I'm sorry your boy isn't feeling well. 
I must confess I was surprised when your post said the diagnosis was asthma!
Usually when my rats have had some noisy breathing, it's been diagnosed as a respiratory infection and a few weeks of antibiotics clears it up.  But I did have one boy who would have much noisier breathing episodes which would include his sides/ribs heaving when it happened, and that turned out to be an enlarged heart.
I hope things turn out well for your Finn :)

proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline RattyRodent

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »
I'm sorry your boy isn't feeling well. 
I must confess I was surprised when your post said the diagnosis was asthma!
Usually when my rats have had some noisy breathing, it's been diagnosed as a respiratory infection and a few weeks of antibiotics clears it up.  But I did have one boy who would have much noisier breathing episodes which would include his sides/ribs heaving when it happened, and that turned out to be an enlarged heart.
I hope things turn out well for your Finn :)

Well, he acts healthy anyway. I'm not sure what the problem is but he seems to be dealing with it. His cage-mate Stan keeps him good company.