Author Topic: Bloody nostril, labored breathing (Actual blood, NOT Poryphrin)  (Read 103 times)

Offline sujamma

Bloody nostril, labored breathing (Actual blood, NOT Poryphrin)
« on: December 23, 2018, 12:01:53 AM »
My rat Miles has been sneezing blood for over a month, and I've had him in and out of the vet for a diagnosis, and on multiple rounds of medication. We did an X-ray and they found no sign of masses, only that his left nostril was inflamed. Tonight, he went into respiratory distress after a bloody sneezing fit, and started gasping from his mouth at the back of his cage. I thought I was going to lose him...

I have a humidifer going now, and gave him 0.5 ml (maybe less, since it spilled off) children's benedryl on a graham cracker as advised by my vet. Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best until I can pick up steroids from the vet when they're open? Also, has anyone else had an experience like this, and what happened?

Offline purple rat

Re: Bloody nostril, labored breathing (Actual blood, NOT Poryphrin)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »
Sorry Miles isn't feeling well.  I haven't dealt with this specific issue, but whenever there's a problem with inflammation my vet prescribes Meloxicam.  Good luck with your boy
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin

Offline sujamma

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 05:43:16 AM »
Thank you. He's perked up today, but a little bit of stress of trying to give him medicine in the sink made his lungs croaky, which scared me a bit. I'm sure it has something to do with myco, but I can't seem to get rid of it if that's the case. He is 2.5 years old, and I know that doesn't help. He greeted me normally when I got home and waited for his graham cracker with medicine, which I am down to one of now, and will decide what to do by morning. If he's still stable, I'll see if it's worth the risk of waiting until the 26th for my vet to reopen.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:11:35 AM »
How is Miles doing?
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin