Author Topic: Dammit! Charlie almost made it to 3!  (Read 97 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Dammit! Charlie almost made it to 3!
« on: July 27, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »
Dammit. One more month and Charlie would've been three years old.

Bethany came to MRR from an OOPS litter as one of the Dragon Age Girls. Her original foster mom described them as especially curious and friendly, incredibly gentle licking baby food off fingers, “lovebugs,” shoulder riders and pretty good at using the litter box.

Her owners loved her and her sister, but not their names. They tried Bethany, Eileen, various endearments, and sometimes Musk or Musky for Elon Musk who invented the Tesla automobile. She’s bright but didn’t answer to any of them, so her adopters got to play NAME THAT RAT! Still, no name stuck. She came back to MRR when her sister passed and she was sad to be alone.

She came to us as the most youthful of seniors, still as sweet and gentle with bright dark eyes that gazed at you, filled with affection, or scanned her world, not missing a thing. She fit right in with my old neutered geezer and a younger spay, the former Supernatural Mom Mary, who could still be a handful. To the lot, we added one even younger that was an instant bond to Audrey. Still, she kept the energy of a baby, dashing to the door to see us and running in her Wodent Wheel including tandem runs with her cagemates. She would ADD lab block or a bizzy ball for my late night pleasure when she ran. We named her Charlie for the bright, dark-eyed, perky Supernaturals TV character and she began to answer to it right away. She'd had breathing problems all along and was often on two powerful antibiotics and a probiotic. Then came pain-killer for an arthritic lower spine. Still, she was a wonderful friend and caretaker for the Sanitation girls' babies after they were weaned. She would actually share a favorite treat of hers with them before coming back for her own. I was glad to divide the cage for the sexes, as it kept her safer as she was getting clumsy with age. We also added extra hammocks for safety. I left a nearly flat play ladder in for exercise until her HED got more serious and I watched her almost break a caught back foot/flipper in a chewed hole for the ladder cover. Her breathing, although usually quiet, kept me awake at night with worry and guilt. She mostly lived in her hammock now.

Two days ago, she had had meds, treats, and playtime already, yet left her hammock to stare at me expectantly and patiently by the door. I got her out and looked her over. To my horror, I found a hard, thoroughly embedded tumor next to her urethra and it was beginning to affect her lady bits. Turned out to help her pee, I had to remove pus from inside and outside her urethra (not smegma) and massage the whole area, producing a FOUNTAINHEAD that took me back to my brother's diaper days. I was quickly healing the urethra with treatment but the tumor just would not let her pee on her own, and even on painkillers the massage clearly hurt as I heard her rare squeaks. I had offered her help to the bridge before and she had rejected the offer. But this time her eyes said it was time. As I got her carrier, she almost went off the bed. And as I stroked her on the way to the vet she began the OCD face-washing and upward head bumps also indicative, along with blindness, of early PT. Why couldn't this girl catch a break? I sang to her while we waited for the vet and she licked and lip smacked. She kissed both the vet and the tech when they came in, and they couldn't believe how sweet she was. After the abdominal shot, they put her in her security blankie on my lap. She climbed out of her blankie (a rarity for her cuddles) and clutched me, skin to skin. I told her at the Bridge she could run to find her sister and play until we met again. She bruxed, kissed me, and gently died. After she was gone and "loose" I could feel more tiny tumors beginning to form so it was truly her time. They know.

--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline purple rat

Re: Dammit! Charlie almost made it to 3!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 01:21:38 PM »
I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious girl.  What a sweet and touching memorial -- I have tears in my eyes.  You gave her a wonderful life.  Hugs to you
proud mama of Spot, Twitch and Nimbus

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin, Spock, Streaker

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
The Late, Great Charlie

Photobucket not working, so used village.photos. Couldn't find how to do "hidden" Spoiler pics in the Mod's Reference section, but since neither Lilspaz68 nor I (nor my vet, for that matter) had seen this kind of thing before, feel free to PM me for pictures of affected lady part if you wish.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
So sorry for your loss.  :heart: