Author Topic: Deep cut behind neck! Vet not open until Monday! Help??  (Read 113 times)

Offline Nysander

Deep cut behind neck! Vet not open until Monday! Help??
« on: December 22, 2019, 01:00:21 AM »
Hey guys, I just checked on my 4 boys and out of nowhere one of them has a DEEP cut on the back of his neck maybe 1/2 long. It is not bleeding but you can easily see the insides of his neck tissue and it goes open when he put his head down.
Of COURSE its a Saturday night and the vet isn't open until Monday morning.

These 4 boys are beautifully behaved and have never had a problem or fights before beyond "hey gimme that snack!" moments. I have no idea where this cut came from. I can't find anything in the cage that would have cut him especially on the back of the neck so the only thing I can imagine is a bite but its TOTALLY out of character if so.
Also since the cut is on the back of the neck he can't keep it clean without their help so I feel like separating them might be just as bad as not if they are helping him clean it.

I have some baytril. I would rather use trimethoprim sulfa for a cut/wound but I don't have any on hand.
Its going to be a day and a half at best before he can get to a vet. Should I just go ahead and give him baytril?

It looks very clean currently. Im not sure whether I would be doing more good or harm trying to clean it. The hibiclens I have isn't new either its been open on my shelf a couple of years. And if I start trying to clean it and get him worked up and struggling in afraid it could do more harm than good. I don't know.

Any other suggestions?? Im just stunned I don't know where this came from and I'm worried about just waiting around. I know rat wounds heal very quick but being on a joint type area he moves a lot (gapes open when he looks down), and not knowing if he might have an untrustworthy cage mate, I'm really nervous.

I know a cut like that on the side or belly can heal on its own. Will one on the back of the neck like that be OK or will him moving it and pulling it open keep it from healing? Does it need stitches? Will it be ok until Monday? Thoughts?

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Deep cut behind neck! Vet not open until Monday! Help??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »
Well, I'm no vet but if it were one of my rats, I'd just wait and get him in to the vet as soon as possible. Ring the vet tomorrow morning and ask for an appointment at their earliest. Otherwise, take him to an emergency vet, but that will cost more. I wouldn't know what to do with the baytril. I do know it is an antibiotic, but you would have to know his weight to determine how much to give him. I wouldn't use the hibiclens, since it is more than likely expired.

Please come back after he's been seen by the vet and let us know what goes on! Poor guy, I know you feel bad about his wound, but it should be ok. Just make sure there is nothing in the cage that can get into the cut, like loose litter.

Offline Nysander

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »
I went ahead and gave him a dose of baytril last night. I know his dose as of last week, and I have a digital food scale I use the weigh them so I can always double check his weight, so I just started him on a course (he's been struggling with on again off again respiratory infections too so at the least it can't hurt and at best it will help keep infection from moving into the blood). I figured if the vet wants him on something else they will switch him but at least he has a little protection now with the baytril.

We are running out this morning to buy new hibiclens to have on hand in case it looks like they aren't keeping up with the cleaning. So far his big brother has been cleaning it for him and he seems to be doing ok so far this morning.

I just deep cleaned their cage on Friday so at least it was nice and clean when this started. Im going to change their fleece and clean again today to make sure it is perfectly fresh. They are in a critter nation with just fleece and fleece hammocks and fleece blankets for bedding, no litter or dusty material. ❤

Any other suggestions or second opinions would be deeply appreciated. Right now I'm just trying my best to keep him from getting infection and keeping my fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:06:23 PM by Nysander »

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
Well, it sounds like you are doing well with him! Just let us all know how he is doing and what the vet says too.