Author Topic: Personal stories about breeding  (Read 135081 times)

Offline LittlePixie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Chani
Re:Personal stories about breeding
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2004, 06:32:50 AM »
Because we don't want the whole first page to be sticky topics.  Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.  

Okay. How about moving it to Rat Tails? Or, better yet, the Reference Desk?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 06:33:22 AM by LittlePixie »
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rat."
Brylewin Rattery
Registered breeder with AusRFS (NSW)

Offline Noe

• Posts Too Much!
  • There is no path - the path is made by walking.
    • The Rabbit Forum
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2004, 01:15:37 PM »
Okay. How about moving it to Rat Tails? Or, better yet, the Reference Desk?

It may actually be more suited to Rat Tails, since it's a thread of stories, not care info per se. I wouldn't put it in the Ref section though; a lot of people never even go there - you can tell by the questions they ask.   ::)
The Rabbit Forum
Making the web better for bunnies.

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2004, 01:32:45 PM »
I'm going to re-sticky it here for now... since it's related to breeding, and is meant to discourage backyard and careless breeding, I think it would still be better suited here than in Rat Tails.

I'm trying to keep the number of stickied threads down... I DO have this thread linked in the "Start Here" thread, which was my solution when I unstickied this, but I guess that didn't do as much good as I had hoped.

* Suebee wonders how many newbies ACTUALLY start with Start Here... *sigh*

Offline ratlife

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud pet of my rodents
    • Perfect Pets Rodent Rescue
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2004, 02:08:55 PM »
 sorry.  I didn't start with the "start here". :-[

Offline PrincessoftheRats16

• Ebony
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2004, 03:38:07 PM »
I don't breed them,I had a great experience with Ivory having babies. When i got Ebony and Ivory the petstore girl said they were both girls (and i thought so too, Apparently Ebony sucked them totally in). When we got home and the rats relaxed, it became obvious Ebony was a boy, but I decided to leave them together because I wanted rat babies. So Ivory got pregnant, and I moved her to a seperate cage after she really show, and got another rat to keep Ebony company. Ivory gave birth to 11 babies, and they all survived. I kept them all and they're all healthy and happy.

I realize now soooo much could have gone wrong, because I knew nothing about Ivory or Ebony, their health, or history. I'm grateful that everything turned out ok, but the babies are extrememly skittish and hate being handled.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 12:24:56 PM by ILoveMyRats14 »
My boys~ Ebony (the daddy), Carmel, and the rest of the gang

My girls~Ivory (the mommy), the gang, Lucky, and  Fortunate (my last 2 pet store rescues)

16 RATS...i MUST be insane.

Offline kratties

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2004, 08:27:42 PM »
Well my rattie family started out as four, 2 boys and 2 girls... One of my boyfriends friends decided it would be funny to let them "play" together, UI know I shouldn't have even let somebody like that touch my rats but i didn't know how he was at the time. That's how we ended up with 13 more ratties. I love all of them dearly. I adopted one out, thanks to this board and 2 more went to a friend. So we ended up keeping 10 of the babies, they are all so precious and have such wonderful personalities, but if I could stop somebody from breeding just for pleasure then I would having this many ratties is so very tough! Lot's of cleaning, and we spend lots of money on food. Spending time with them isn't a problem since, I stay at home and my boyfriend works from home. anyway just wanted to tell my story... :rattysmiley:

Offline bluratz

• Posts Too Much!
  • Just remember what's important..
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2004, 02:03:21 PM »
I am very new to this website, although I have been a rat fan for years.  I adopted a male rat who I named Elwyn, and his sister Anna(who is pregnant with his kiddos, she came to the shelter that way).  I am fostering her and the babies until they are old enough to go back to Kim at the ARL in Westbrook, ME.  I am hoping to give them a good and happy start in life.  If anyone has any suggestions or anything, do let me know!  llnirish@yahoo.com  I am hoping to have some happy stories to share when the babies are born!! :BlueDumboSmile:
The rabbits: Snow, Daisy, Giggles
The cats: Juno, Maximus and Marley
The fish: eaten by Marley
The boy: Nolan
The fosters: Hot Wheels, Lego, Transformer

Offline bluratz

• Posts Too Much!
  • Just remember what's important..
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2004, 02:38:06 PM »
p.s.... Elwyn is going to the vet tomorrow, this will be his LAST litter of babies!!   :shocked2:
The rabbits: Snow, Daisy, Giggles
The cats: Juno, Maximus and Marley
The fish: eaten by Marley
The boy: Nolan
The fosters: Hot Wheels, Lego, Transformer

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2004, 09:45:47 PM »
Two things to say, first of all I agree with what someone said earlier, how on earth can you properly give 60 rats the love they need?

Well I actually wrote the second thing, and realized it has almost nothing to do with breeding so I felt it doesn't belong.  But as for my two accidental litters that I had to deal with (this was when I was young and my first pet store rats so didn't know what to look for).  Most of the rats died because the mothers were too young and inexperienced.  It was one of the worst periods in my life, having to bury so many babies.  I sincerly believe if a person truly cares about rats that they won't breed without putting an amazing amount of time into considering it and making it their passion in life.  To improve the health and tempermant of rats out ther eis one of the only valid reasons to breed.  
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • "That teacher with all the weird animals!"
Re: Personal stories about breeding
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »
I didn't breed these rats, they were part of a rescue and they show how genetic flaws can be passed on.

Two years ago, I was told about Emily and her 3 small children.  She had been brought back to a petstore when her owners decided she smelled.  She had been kept with a male even after the babies were born, which meant she was already pregnant again.  Between the 2 litters, she had a total of 12 beautiful and sweet children

I kept Emily and 6 of her children (3 boys and 3 girls).  I also have contact with some of the people who adopted her other children.

Emily was euthanized along with one of her daughters last week because of multiple tumors.  Each had at least one tumor which involved the neck area.  They would have been very difficult to remove.  Anna had a total of 5 tumors.  Emily had 3.  Every daughter she produced (except 1) has developed multiple tumors.  Several have had the tumors develop around the neck too.  The males seem to be wonderfully healthy and tumor free.  A rat who produces this many children with this problem probably has a genetic disposition toward tumors and should never be bred.  Thank goodness none of her children were ever used for breeding.

Emily and her children have been well loved, but should have lived longer.
Deb and the wonderful memories of all the past fur kids I've known and loved.

Offline sarahspins

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2004, 05:45:29 PM »
Not to depress folks, but even well documented lines can have "glitches" from time to time and produce hitherto unknown genetic problems.

Yep, I wanted to expand on this a little.. a lot of good breeders have already posted on this thread, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone understand that these things happen to *everyone*.  No matter how much planning, how much research, and how much heart goes into a breeding, nothing is ever certain.  ALL breeders will inevitably have to deal with the heartache of litters that just don't work out as planned, or brought together recessives that were unknown from either line.

I've had it happen myself.. I got two babies with hydrocephalus out of two completely unrelated rats, and I was devastated.  That was and has been one of the worse experiences of my life.. I felt like I had failed those rats.. rats that barely had a chance in this world, rats that *I* was responsible for creating.  However, no amount of researching prior to breeding that litter would have shown me any reason not to do it.. the information I found out after the litter, was only found out because I was asking about a fairly specific and not very common condition... the connections never would have been made if I didn't know what to look for.

Sometimes rats in lines without any known birthing issues will suddenly have some serious problems.  I had that happen with two girls of mine (sisters), they each lost more than 2/3 of their litters due to what I beleive was placental abruptions.  They lost a lot of blood in the deliveries, with blood gushing out between each baby, and I honestly think it's a miracle that both moms survived.  That was *very* hard to handle.  I don't honestly know if I will continue that line or not.. it was just horrible to witness, and I don't want to be responsible for it happening again.  However other related rats (siblings) of those two girls have had normal healthy litters, so it's possible it was just a bad genetic mix between those girls and the boy I bred both of them to.. I just don't know, and it's hard to make determinations without a lot of information.

I also had a mother last month *kill* an entire litter of 3 week old babies when I went out of town.. I will never know for sure what happened, but something snapped in her head and then they were all gone, and that was a *horrible* thing to come home to.  Obviously she's retired now, and I was already planning on not breeding from that line anymore in general to focus on other things, but that doesn't take away any of the pain.

Breeding is not all about "cute babies".. there's a lot of hard decisions and broken hearts involved, and sometimes it can be VERY hard to handle it.  That's part of the "new breeder" phenomenon... someone wants to breed rats because they love them, they come across their first issue or bad litter(s) and they up and quit.  Very few breeders that do that accomplish anything more than just making more rats.. no matter where their "foundation" rats came from.  The breeders that stick with it, change the way they do things, stop certain lines, etc, are the ones who are actually accomplishing something positive... not the ones who throw a few rats together to get some "great pets".  In breeding ANY kind of companion animal that is a given, but WHAT else are they trying to accomplish?

The best compliments I've ever gotten from breeding are hearing back from people who have adopted rats from me and write me months or even years after getting them, and they go on and on about how wonderful those rats are.. from breeders telling me that my rats are some of the best they've ever gotten.. it's those encouraging words that get breeders through the "hard times"..

Offline Claire

• Posts Too Much!
  • Augie!
    • Rusty Rat Rescue
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2004, 10:22:19 PM »
In November 2003, I met a girl at my school who had just gotten her first rats around the same time that I got my own two girls.  However, she told me that she bought a male and a female from a pet store and was hiding them in her house to breed them but she didn't want her mom to know.  Needless to say, this girl's mother found the rats when the female was around three weeks pregnant and told her that if she didn't find a home for the rats overnight, she'd kill them.  The girl came to me, asking if I could take them but at the time I backed down since I knew that raising that many rats would be a huge responsibility.  So, the girl found a teacher at my school to take the rats.  The teacher also had two snakes in her classroom and later confided to the girl that she wanted to keep the male and the female and keep breeding them - to feed the pinkies to her snakes!  The mother had her litter of 7 babies over a three day weekend but the girl never separated the mom from the dad; so the mom was pregnant again!  The girl asked me to watch all of the rats over Thanksgiving break and I said yes.  The rats never went back to the school.  I worked out a deal with the girl and paid her $30.00 for all of the rats (it was the only way I'd be able to take them from her).

I immediately separated the male from the female at my house and kept the mother and babies in a 20 gallon aquarium (I didn't research rats for over a year before I got my first ones for nothing).  In December, the mother rat had her second litter of 12 babies.  She was under a year old at the time.  I put the boys from the first litter together with the father and the females from the first litter together with my own females in my Martin's cage.  The poor mother rat, she was nursing for almost two straight months.  The second litter and mother got sick after I went to the pet store one day and brought home a little baby rat who was the same age as the litter (big mistake and stupid on my part).  Took them to the vet, got medication.  The little girl that I brought to the litter died about a week after I bought her.  So I was very worried.

All of the babies survived in the end and went to forever homes in January/February.  I enjoyed watching the babies grow up so much but also learned a lot about raising rats in the process.

Offline vixen

• Rats are cool. How else can you put it?
    • fatty ratty
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2004, 11:55:50 AM »
Edited.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:03:23 PM by vixen »
~Lisa
James, Black Bean and Benny
until we meet again, Kowrat, Roddy & Tini
Fatty Ratty Forum:
http://fattyratty.proboards44.com
http://www.fattyratty.tk

Offline meghanyeah

• Ritten
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2004, 01:37:15 PM »
My rats mated and the just had babies!  :hyper: They are separated right now...the female with the 5 babies and the male in his own cage. Do they have to stay separated? And if so, for how long? The babies were born July 5 and today is July 7. The daddy seems anxious, and I was wondering when I can connect the cages again.  ???  ??? Let me know soon please!

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2004, 03:21:21 PM »
My rats mated and the just had babies!  :hyper: They are separated right now...the female with the 5 babies and the male in his own cage. Do they have to stay separated? And if so, for how long? The babies were born July 5 and today is July 7. The daddy seems anxious, and I was wondering when I can connect the cages again.  ???  ??? Let me know soon please!

YES! Your male and female MUST stay separated! If you don't, they will keep breeding and before you know it you'll have hundreds of rats.
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2004, 03:26:23 PM »
I think you may have missed the point of this thread. I'd suggest you go through it again and read about the experiences of many rat owners and what we have learned from it all, and hopefully you'll re evaluate your situation as well.

As for other breeding questions, you should make a new thread about it since it is off topic from this thread.

Offline MarburysMum

• Oy! Rat poo!
    • My Performance Website
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2004, 01:54:59 AM »
Oy! I hadn't planned to breed my rat, and I have to say that these stories only reinforce my conviction!  :BlueDumboBigEyes: I have always felt that way about breeding humans as well. Before we were married, my husband and I agreed that we should adopt children who really needed parents and a loving home rather than having our own. I don't have the best genetics (illnesses in the family, etc.) and have never been gung ho about babies. I hope that over the course of my life, I will be able to give a good home to the rats AND humans that have already arrived on this earth.
"If you find the mirror of the heart dull, the rust has not been cleared from its face." - Rumi

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2004, 07:02:09 PM »
I have to admit, rather sheepishly, that I was considering breeding. I was even thinking about just borrowing a buck to breed with one of my females, just because I wanted sweet handreared babies (none even CLOSE to my area, and I live on an island so that makes transport somewhat difficult), but after reading this thread, I won't ever breed any of my own. Thanks for enlightening me (and I am in the process of arranging with Kim's Ark to get a neutered male or two).  :)
islandsugargliders.com

Gypsy

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2004, 07:20:47 PM »
I have never bred any of my rats yet and I don't plan to due to an experience a friend of mine had with her rats. My friend and her two sisters got their rats from a friend of their mothers. The three girls got to pick out one rat each for themselves. My friend got a male and her two sisters got females. The mother of the rats had a large tumor in it's stomach and it was there even during her pregnancy and birth. After some time, one of the females began to develope a large tumor as she got older. The tumor grew to be the size of the rat herself! Somehow, a rumor got to the ears of my friend when someone told her that male rats, unless they are neutered of mated to another rat, their testicals would get so large they would explode! Now, I don't know if this is true or not, but it sounds like immature garbage to me. But she believed it and so did her family and they ended up mating the male rat with one of the females. And soon, one of the females gave birth to a litter of 16 babies. They tried giving the rats away to homes and they did find a few. But in the end, they ended up giving the rats the a pet store who sold them for feeders. Two of the babies were given to her aunt, and eventually those two babies ended up developing tumors as well and slowly died.

Gypsy is the rat I own now. I got her from the pet store and she is nearly full grown, beautiful, friendly and lovable. And eventually, I do plan on getting a male simply so I can experience the difference of males and females. But, I will never breed her or any other rat that comes into my care. I don't want a horror story like that to happen to me.

Offline hamtaro

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2004, 09:05:50 PM »
Just think about what happens to the wild rats that live outside :o :worry:
Meow

ssjay

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2004, 08:35:17 AM »
I guess I'm lucky. Brought Misty home from the pet store and two weeks later bam! I was grandma. She almost died so I ended up bottle feeding until the vet said it was ok for her to have the babies back. I kept Lambeau and a couple of the girls and found homes for all the babies. Well 3 weeks later i found out lambeau consorted with Belle and bam!! Here we go again! More homes were found. Everyone loved the kids and loved how I raised them.Since Daddy was the only male, I had him fixed.All babies were healthy and to my knowledege some of them are two years old. Pet shop rats are the worst in my opinion

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2004, 08:01:32 PM »
I have never bred and never will. I could afford to but I just wouldn't want to have to deal with all the misshaps that could come with it, the intensive research needed and finally I know for a fact I'd be way too overprotective to allow 99% of potential homes to take them in.

But I did get two baby girls from someone who ended up with an accidental litter. One day she had one female rat and the next she had 11.

The two girls were very well socialized and nice and everything but they both developped pituitary tumors. The first one barely made it to 18 months old. In one month she went from happy go lucky to stumbling and barely able to eat ... antibiotics did nothing and prendisone bought her maybe a week at most. Her sister almost made it to two years. She had the same PT but it grew slower but I helped her over sooner than her sister. I knew what was comming and I decided that when she went one full day without eating on her own and just laying there listless ... from a rat who would scale my closet walls ... was her telling me it was time.

All and all I don't regret getting them, they brought me lots of joy and happyness but it was also very sad that I lost them so young due to bad genetics and it was especially painfull since nothing could be done to help them.  :-[

It saddens me when I read about new breeders who breed their first rats, of course they seem healthy ... when they're around 6 months of age ... but they don't know what they're doing, what heartbreak they are producing ... and then when their "healthy breeders" turn 18 months and start to get sick they are all sorry and now they know what awaits the rittens they bred. Breeding is best left to people who have had many rats, who do the genetics research, who know the background of their breeders and who have the financial resources to do so.

Offline Sammage

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2004, 08:25:52 PM »
This thread was very interesting to read and man oh man it kept me entertained for awhile because it is so long!

However, the few people who did post positive breeding/birth experiences were basically attacked! If this thread is to help people, then why are people ganging up on the people who have had positive births? (And yes do I know this is a thread for sad experiences so don't bombard me.)

Please, don't bad mouth these people (even if you disagree with them) instead we should be helping them and using kindness to educate them on how breeding is not a good idea.

And also, good breeders start out as a beginner. Everyone has to start from somewhere. Those excellent expert breeders were once someone who it seems most people using this forum despise.

PS,

I have never bred, nor will I ever in the future.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2004, 09:40:40 PM »
This thread is not really about discussion, but about sharing a story about breeding.  Let's keep it that way please.

Offline October

« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2004, 04:16:50 PM »
well, I didn't plan on breeding at all, but ashley brought her girls over and now its been a month and a half and there are babies, her females both had babies, atticus neglected hers so they are with scout, 22 in total, 10 died, left with 12. Scout and atticus are separated and in different cages in different parts of the room.