Author Topic: Boys or Girls? Part 2  (Read 2823 times)

pigsandrats

Boys or Girls? Part 2
« on: April 10, 2003, 09:34:06 PM »
Two questions--

Do boys have to be neutered to live together?
As a general rule, do boys require a larger cage than girls? Would two boys need a larger cage than two girls?

Thanks everyone!  :BlueDumboSmile:

stripedrats

Re:Boys or Girls? Part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 09:41:01 PM »
Boys don't have to be neutered to live together, especially if they are siblings, or have lived together all their lives. If you are introducing a new boy to your current boys, try the intros, and if they are too territorial, then you will probably have to get them neutered. Yes, boys need about an extra rat's size in their cages. For example, the cage calc says 2.3 rats can fit- about 1.5 boys could fit. Here's the URL to the cage calc- http://www.kristinewickstrom.homestead.com/files/PanelApplet.html

Offline Noe

• Posts Too Much!
  • There is no path - the path is made by walking.
    • The Rabbit Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 09:42:04 PM »
1) No! Sometimes, if they are getting too aggressive, neutering will help. But it isn't usually necessary.

2) Depends who you ask. Many people think boys need more space because they're bigger, but some say girls need more space because they're more active.
The Rabbit Forum
Making the web better for bunnies.

Offline quellykin1

• Posts Too Much!
  • umm, whoooo took my muffin?
    • Any Rat Rescue
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 10:52:14 PM »
Hmmm... I'll pass on the neutering question since I've had extremely bad luck getting my boys to get along (and they're all neutered but one :P). Example:

"I'm gonna kick your butt, you spaz!"
"Oh yeah? Don't make me come over there!"
So if you can get two brothers, and if you can tell that one is submissive and the other is dominant, that is just perfect.

It seems that IN GENERAL the girls are much more active and would require a cage as large if not larger than the boys. Example 2:

Each night three of my boys use their huge 3-story ferret cage, loaded with accessories, to climb up to the "spare" cage where they sleep. :huh: Go figure.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 11:04:15 PM by quellykin1 »

www.anyratrescue.org
Trekkies, Earl, Sloane, Stripes, Rocky, Kaci, Kada, Bailey, mousers

Offline LittlePixie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Chani
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 05:31:42 AM »
It really depends. I have a 10 month old male in with three six-week-old males... they've been with him since they were five weeks, and had met him at four weeks. He loves them to death. He's the most beautiful boy in the world.

*ahem*

Boys need space to move... but generally spend most of their time in hammocks sleeping anyway.
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rat."
Brylewin Rattery
Registered breeder with AusRFS (NSW)

Offline atombessy

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 07:28:07 AM »
I was wondering today if my boy was sick because he sleeps SO much more than the girls do. Mind you, he's at least 6 months older than they, so I guess that could do it to. After reading this post though I guess he's just doing his manly sleeping thing! His beauty rest...
Ratlets: Sprocket, Moki, Rollo and Bear

Offline PA_Ratopia

• Posts Too Much!
  • My Sweet Nimmahlou
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 05:39:44 PM »
boys are lazy by nature i think. the older they get the squishier they get and the sleepier they get.
quellykin? you think the separate cage to sleep in is weird? my older boy Shiloh empties his 20oz stainless parrot bowl of ratchow at night, sleeps in it, then refills it with the ratchow in the morning. its seriously bizzare. :huh:
PAR
"In my life's chain of events, nothing was accidental." - Hannah Senes