Author Topic: Are My Rats Strange? Please try This!  (Read 3297 times)

AmoLaZucca

Are My Rats Strange? Please try This!
« on: April 11, 2003, 08:53:16 PM »
I've noticed that when I'm letting one of my girls sit with me at the computer, when they are on my right arm, each of them jumps each and every time I click the mouse!  What is up with that?  They NEVER seem to get used to it.  They don't run away, but they ALWAYS jump like they are startled!  Try this and PLEASE tell me, is it a normal reation?  I wonder why this happens???   ???

Ensie

Re:Are My Rats Strange? Please try This!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 09:03:35 PM »
I think the answer to that depends on how long you've had your rats. If you've got them fairly recently (within the last month or two), they're probably still adjusting to sounds.

If you've had them for awhile, have they heard the sounds the mouse makes or is this a new thing? If it's not new to them, then maybe you just have jumpy rats. Smores is still jumpy and even Mocha can be startled from time to time. And these are my girls that live in the front room with me and know all the noises I make all day long.

AmoLaZucca

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 09:32:23 PM »
I think the answer to that depends on how long you've had your rats. If you've got them fairly recently (within the last month or two), they're probably still adjusting to sounds.

Thanks for responding!  I've had Pumpkin since mid January, and Jewel & Jinx since then latter part of March - but they each spend one-on-one time each day with me at the computer.  Hmmm, I hope they do get used to it.  Makes me feel bad when they do that!   :(

Offline LittlePixie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Chani
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 04:50:05 AM »
Makes me feel bad when they do that!   :(

Don't worry about it. Mine jump every time I make a smooch noise. And every time I laugh. Or sniff. Or look at them...
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rat."
Brylewin Rattery
Registered breeder with AusRFS (NSW)

Offline scout

• Patriot for Peace
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 08:39:16 AM »
If they're sitting on your forearm, they probably feel your muscle jump (yes, the muscle you use for your index finger is in your forearm). I would guess they probably want to find a little more stable surface.
Scout

Offline I love rats 2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ratties r cool
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 11:58:55 AM »
my rats jump when I type on the keyboard.
Rats rock

Offline Blue Steel Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • A proud rat owner since 1964
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 05:57:19 PM »
Sounds like a healthy "flight or fight" response to me. (That's a good thing)   :BlueDumboSmile:
Deb ~~((((8:>