Author Topic: Can I feed my rats corn?  (Read 21388 times)

Lisa

Can I feed my rats corn?
« on: April 15, 2002, 05:12:42 PM »
I picked up some corn on the cob today and I am wondering if I can feed some to the rats?  I think I heard somewhere that too much corn isn't good for them.  Can I feed raw or cooked or is it better to not give it at all?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
Re:Can I feed my rats corn?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2002, 05:18:12 PM »
Fresh corn is perfectly fine as a treat.  ;D They can have it cooked or raw.

Dried corn is a concern because it can contain fungus, and too much corn (say, as a staple of the diet, like a corn-based dog food or lab block) can cause problems because of sugar content, nitrates, and the fact that it is one of the harder carbohydrates to digest (corn poop, anyone?)  ;)  :o

Offline Goosemoose

• Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Goosemoose.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2002, 05:20:46 PM »
I give my rats corn all the time! They LOVE cooked corn(obviously let it cool down alot). Unfortuantely patches manged to get a piece of corn (hard kind sold in pet stores) in her throat. A few hundred dollars, and 3 days of choking later it was out. It's been about a month now and she has gained all her weight and energy back. Anyways I am sure this could happen with any seed or hard food, she just gets TOO excited!
My Day Job: Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software - Allows any inspector using Windows or Mac to create easy to read reports that can be quickly uploaded online, or printed out on the job site.

Lisa

Great! Another dumb question...
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2002, 05:36:09 PM »
Should I take the corn off the cob or would they enjoy chewing it off the cob?  I will probably cook the corn first.

Offline BranwenR

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Lover!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2002, 05:40:55 PM »
Definitely let them gnaw it off the cob!  You haven't laughed 'till you've seen your babies try to pick up something their own size and weight and proudly carry it with their head held up.  Prancing rats! 8)

Offline Goosemoose

• Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Goosemoose.com
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2002, 05:49:53 PM »
I totally agree, give them the cob! I cut mine into three pieces, one for each rat. You don't want any fighting :)
My Day Job: Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software - Allows any inspector using Windows or Mac to create easy to read reports that can be quickly uploaded online, or printed out on the job site.

Lisa

Rats and sharing (the 'S' word to them!)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2002, 05:55:32 PM »
Good lord, I know!  Only for the 4 girls, I do everything in fives....the first piece for Willow, the 2nd, 3rd, for Buffy and Hermoine, the fourth piece for when Willow comes back from hiding her first piece, and the last piece for Kita who is slowest.  If I don't do it this way, Willow will steal from another.

For the boys, I don't put the food in the dish because Twix will sit IN the bowl and hide food from Harry.  I give Harry his treat separately.

The other three girls are pretty good about sharing.  But they are still young...they will learn!

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2002, 07:12:44 PM »
Heehee, What a good idea, maikng 5 pieces for 4 rats...Might have to try that... Although I think my babies might wise up and just keep hiding them and run for more.
:P
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Offline Christy

• Posts Too Much!
    • Christy's Corner
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2002, 09:42:35 PM »

Definitely let them gnaw it off the cob!  You haven't laughed 'till you've seen your babies try to pick up something their own size and weight and proudly carry it with their head held up.  Prancing rats! 8)

Definitely!  There is nothing funnier than watching a rat try to fit a 4" corn cob through a 2" igloo door!  :D

Lisa

They loved it! Thanks everyone N/M
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2002, 10:01:38 PM »
 ;D

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2002, 11:48:46 PM »
I give my girls corn on the cob once in a while, but I try not to give them (or myseslf) too much corn since it is hard to digest.

Dried corn is the real biggie, since it can have fungus (or is it mold?  Or are they the same thing?) spores in it, and the nitrosamines can become carcinogenic when combined with something else, although I don't remember the name.

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE