Author Topic: Dividing posts?  (Read 3738 times)

michiganratter

Dividing posts?
« on: April 15, 2002, 05:36:50 PM »
This new board is sweet. A great improvement over the 54 forum. ;D ;D ;D

This is both a survey and a question for the moderators:

Why not have two or three different discussion areas. Maybe one for medical problems, one for proud parents to post pictures and one general for basic questions and discussion.

What do you guys think? Mods, is this possible?

JulesDoug

Re:Dividing posts?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2002, 05:39:25 PM »
I wondered if we could have a memorial section as there has been so many rattie deaths of late, just a thought.
Jules Babs N Bonnie

Offline Goosemoose

• Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Goosemoose.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2002, 05:50:47 PM »
That is up to suebee :) She gets to make the decisions, I just do what she says hehehe.
My Day Job: Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software - Allows any inspector using Windows or Mac to create easy to read reports that can be quickly uploaded online, or printed out on the job site.

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2002, 05:56:42 PM »
To be honest, from a moderator standpoint, the more forums there are, the more work there is for the five of us.  This new setup, as it stands, is a far cry from what we had before, and even the moderators have to get used to having their eyes on more than one or two places -- we have FIVE forums now, technically, to watch over.

I would rather let us work with this setup for a few months, and see what develops. If we see a need to separate out a medical forum, etc., so be it. For now, however, I would rather collect it all in one place so it is not so confusing for people unfamiliar with this kind of forum.

Not to mention, Rat Palace has survived for two years now with just a few subforums -- only one of them specifically for talking about rats.  ;D

As for a memorial site -- something like that is far more appropriate for a stand-alone web site, not a discussion forum. Forums are meant to be somewhat transitory -- always changing.

Ali

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 10:54:48 AM »
My personal feeling is that if we start having too many forums-within-forums then we might risk missing out on important information.

For example, I read a lot of the medical messages people post, not because I have that particular problem with my rats but because I'm nosey! However, in doing so I've picked up lots of info that I might never have found out about (for example, all the recent posts re megacolon, mites etc). I think if the message is there looking at you then you're more likely to read it. If you need to go to a separate forum then people are less likely to look unless they need help themselves - those without a health problem potentially miss out on useful (if currently irrelevant) information, whilst there's also the danger that the person who knows the answer hasn't looked on that board.

I can already see this possibly happening with the adoption board, though it's not so much of an issue - only people looking to adopt are likely to look, whereas those people whose GGMR can be stimulated by pleading posts (!!) might not be looking on a separate board and a ratty misses out on a home (granted this doesn't happen often, I can only think of Maggiesmom & Brody as an example at the moment).

Anyway, just my thoughts.......