Author Topic: BULK rat food? Mazuri?  (Read 4763 times)

Offline KaitlynandCody

• Owner of Kaitlyn & Cody
BULK rat food? Mazuri?
« on: June 18, 2003, 02:55:08 PM »
I was told to buy my rat food bulk because it's much MUCH cheaper. 25lbs for only $12.95. It's the Mazuri brand and would be ordered specially from the Mazuri Company so it would be extremely fresh. I know that when I raised guinea pigs, that Mazuri was the brand to buy if you wanted fresh, good quality feed to keep them healthy. I am wondering if it's the same for the rat food? I'm spending $12-$15 a week in rat lab blocks from the pet stores and Wal Mart is the same price. I can keep doing this but if there is a cheaper way with equal or better quality food, I would love to switch. Just wondering your guys' opinions on it.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth and the much loved ratties: Kaitlyn (UPDATE-had her 6 rittens 9/4/03 at 12pm) and Cody

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
Re:BULK rat food? Mazuri?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 03:09:21 PM »
I've heard that they are great.  They aren't something I've tried, but I know that lots of folks use it.
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 03:22:48 PM »
Mine LOVE Mazuri blocks! I get 50 lbs for $18 at my local feed store. Make sure you get the Rodent Breeder with the 16% protein because the other regular blocks are 23% I think. If you're going to feed a grain mix too, DEFINATELY go with the RB.. even though you're not breeding. Go to mazuri.com and find a dealer near you. Then you can ask them if they carry the Mazuri Rodent Breeder 6F or 6F-SP. Both are fine.. I think they're in different shapes though that's it. You can't buy the blocks direct from Mazuri though if you shop online at their site. They only sell 2 lb packages of the 23% protein blocks. :(

EmilyRugburn

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 03:52:25 PM »
Mine like Mazuri, too.  They'd rather have their Suebee mix, of course, but they will eat Mazuri, and there are days when that's ALL they get.

It's easily obtained at a feed store here, and very cheap, but I get it by the pound rather than a big old bag.  I've never asked this store if they sell it by the big bag, but I'm sure they do.

*makes mental note*

Editing:

WHOOOPS!  The breeder pellets list ground corn as the first ingredient.   This was what deterred me from buying other brands of lab block.

This is what's in the kind I pick up from the store, but I'm sure there's something these rats shouldn't have, as well.

Ingredients
Dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, ground wheat, wheat middlings, animal fat preserved with BHA, cane molasses, fish meal, ground oats, porcine meat meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, dried beet pulp, wheat germ, brewers dried yeast, calcium carbonate, dried whey, salt, calcium propionate (a preservative), dicalcium phosphate, ground soybean hulls, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K), choline chloride, dried yucca shidigera extract, corn gluten meal, DL-methionine, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3 ), vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (source of natural vitamin E), soybean oil, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid, nicotinic acid, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, cyanocobalamin (source of vitamin B12 ), manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate.

Approximate Nutrient Composition
Nutrients  Minerals
Protein, % 24.0  Ash, % 6.3
Arginine, % 1.54  Calcium, % 0.95
Cystine, % 0.33  Phosphorus, % 0.65
Glycine, % 1.26  Phosphorus (non-phytate), % 0.35
Histidine, % 0.59  Potassium, % 1.10
Isoleucine, % 1.18  Magnesium, % 0.20
Leucine, % 1.91  Sodium, % 0.28
Lysine, % 1.40  Chloride, % 0.50
Methionine, % 0.43  Sulfur, % 0.26
Phenylalanine, % 1.12  Iron, ppm 260
Threonine, % 0.92  Zinc, ppm 93
Tryptophan, % 0.31  Manganese, ppm 80
Valine, % 1.24  Copper, ppm 14
   Iodine, ppm 1.1
Fat, % 6.5  Selenium, ppm 0.18
Linoleic Acid, % 1.29  Cobalt, ppm 060

« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 06:51:27 PM by EmilyRugburn »

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 04:11:53 PM »
if i were to feed mazuri, i wouldnt feed the breeder either (like shawna said) because of corn being the primary ingredient - it has been shown that rats fed a diet high in soy may be less prone to mammary tumors, etc.

also, protein levels are debatable. 23% is RIGHT in the ideal range for rats, actually -- and most rats will do just fine with it - i feel all my rats 23% including males (intact and neutered) with no problem. IMHO, most rats do fine with it, as long as you are using a high quality source of protein that is well digested. the rat that has a problem with the high quality, bioavailable protein source is few and far between.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC