Author Topic: my new cage questions...  (Read 750 times)

Offline kimij67

my new cage questions...
« on: June 18, 2003, 07:47:17 AM »
My R670 is on its way, should be here by friday, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried covering the ramps with sandpaper to help keep the nails trimmed down. I am not sure how much floor space I am going to have for bricks and this idea just came to me. Has any one tried this? did it work? what grade of sandpaper did you use? and what have others used for the different balconies...to cover them and keep the droppings from just flowing down all over everything else?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 07:48:23 AM by kimij67 »
kimij - mother of Jen, maddie and dawson..but mommy to Baby Max and  Gavin Nemo, and naked Rufas
   **See pictures at : http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=296726

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
Re:my new cage questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 07:51:42 AM »
I've never tried covering the ramps with sandpaper... honestly, you'd be changing it every day...

I cover the second floor of my R-695 with vinyl carpet runner, but I leave the balconies uncovered -- they were too much of a pain to clean, and it gives them even more variety in walking surfaces.

But looking at the cage, your balconies look a lot easier to reach. The first balcony on the R-695 is a real pain to reach on cleaning day!

Offline kimij67

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 07:56:30 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I wasnt sure about the sandpaper lasting, just wish i could find someother way to keep their nails down as they dont like the bricks I have for them now and just push them out of the way (they are smaller as the cages are not large enough for a cynder block) They are great about letting me trim their nails, but im always such a wreck afraid I will cut one to close plus as i get older those little nails are getting harder to see! ;)
kimij - mother of Jen, maddie and dawson..but mommy to Baby Max and  Gavin Nemo, and naked Rufas
   **See pictures at : http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=296726

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 02:27:38 PM »
Try putting a rock in there. I got some from the woods around my dad's house and they keep the nails filed down. I still trim them but now I don't have to as often. Sandpaper would be awful rough and scratchy on their little feet. I don't think they develop tougher skin over time like we do.