Author Topic: Nertz... (pic added) updated  (Read 711 times)

SADCAT

Nertz... (pic added) updated
« on: June 16, 2003, 01:08:08 PM »
Oswald seems to have an abscess... I found a little lump just above where his incision was. It looks like it's under the skin, but it feels squishy. It's right next to his.. ermm.. *ahem* yes..

Is it ususual for a lump to appear there after neutering? It's not actually next to or on the spot where the incision was.. it's just above.. but it feels like an abscess.

He's going into the vet on Wednesday to have it looked at. Just wanted to know if this was normal. I'll try and get a picture, if it's not too embarrassing for him!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 06:09:43 PM by SADCAT »

SADCAT

Re:Nertz...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 01:31:05 PM »
Well, here's the best pic I could get... you can sort of see the lump.. could it be an abscess?

Just seems the most likely explanation... seeing as how he did get an infection after his surgery... I managed to clean that up, but there are chances it got up inside and formed an abscess? Same thing happened to Cous Cous...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 01:31:35 PM by SADCAT »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re:Nertz... (pic added)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 01:35:10 PM »
Yeah, most likely an abcess.  Although it might just be an accumulation of fluids.  Sometimes that happens, too.  Good luck with the vet!

SADCAT

Re:Nertz... (pic added)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 06:08:55 PM »
Well I took Ozzy to the vet today. The lump apparently feels soft, so it's probably a sterile abscess. He gave me some meds to give Ozzy, and I'm to try and draw out as much as I can of the infection with a saltwater compress several times a day. If it doesn't shrink at all in two-three days from now, he's going to have to put Oswald under anesthetic and try and drain some of it out, or open him up and take it out. He'd rather not cut him open, as sutures caused the problem in the first place, and Ozzy obviously likes to go after his incisions.

Soooo, now we play the waiting game.. and the saltwater compress game.. and the medication game. I'm not liking games too much right now.

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • why do rat noses fit so perfectly in your ears...
Re:Nertz... (pic added) updated
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 06:17:52 PM »
what a big kissable tummy.  i bet ozzy doesn't even like tummy kisses. alot of rats with the most inviting kissable tummies donot like having them kissed.

well if you can get away with it, give ozzy a big tummy kiss from me.