Author Topic: cat vaccine question  (Read 4533 times)

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
cat vaccine question
« on: July 02, 2003, 08:51:05 PM »
if a cat has a relatively minor reaction to its vaccs (ie fever, lethargy, not eating/drinking), is it likely to have a more major reaction the next time around? i mean, we'll pretreat with benedryl i imagine, but i still worry.

i'm still not sure what to do about jewel's vaccs. we have an appointment july 12, and she's only due for the combo vacc as she had a three year rabies, but i'm not sure i even want that.

i read colorado state's vaccine protocol and it makes me even more unsure that i want her vaccinated, but i'm not sure how my vet will be about that.

and her records STILL have not been sent even though i've called my former vet's office TWICE. grrrr!

Offline danna

• www.madbovine.org
Re:cat vaccine question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 09:38:46 PM »
I would personally forego the vaccination if you keep the cat inside all the time.  My personal opinion - better to help than hurt.
Danna and the ratties - Scabbers, Pigwidgeon, Modi, Tyr, and Frey

www.madbovine.org

Offline TCR

• Simply Irresistible!
    • Triple Crown Rats
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 09:46:11 PM »
My cat Davona almost died when she was a year old after vaccination. I don't know how she responded to the kitten vaccines though because when I got her, she had already gotten those initial shots. The next year, when she was about 2, she got the shot of benadryl at the same time. She atleast didn't get horribly sick after this shot but she was more lethargic for about a day later. The next year, I decided not to go through vaccines with her. I've read a few articles, like Danna said, about how after the intial kitten shots, the yearly vaccines aren't necessary for indoor cats that aren't going to be exposed to other cats. Davona is 9 now and hasn't had shots in over 5 years, she's been perfectly healthy since.
Owned by: Kahega, Chilukki, Gaviola, Arazi, Gander, Ella Bella, Gemelo, Arromanches, Rubiano, Starine, Tinosa, Vesta, Balto Star, Hap, Nasello, Obeah, Slick, Spike, Celera, Cozzene, Farda Amiga, Giaco, Glacken, Paseana, Sakhee, Got Milk, and Nuala.

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 07:16:18 AM »
my friend almost lost her cat to a reaction last year. she'd had no noticable reaction the previous year, but last year BLAM full anaphalactic shock. it makes me more than a little nervous.

my cats are strictly indoors, but at the same time, i work in vet's office. i could theoretically bring something home.

i've been kicking this around for months now and i still haven't come to a decision.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 07:50:15 AM »
I've read articles where it's been tested whether vaccines are good for animals  (although they should still definately get the startup shots).. and it's been very interesting!

In one study, they had a bunch of collies (I believe, I'm stating this from memory)..  one group was vaccinated, the other wasn't.

The ones that were had the most that ended up dying related to cancers and other problems - the unvaccinated ones stayed a LOT more healthy!  Weird, huh?

If you keep your cat indoors - I wouldn't recommend updating the shots.  Most shots are actually good for up to 3 years or so - definately not needed every year.

This reminds me of when one vet I visited gave my cat a bordetella shot WITHOUT ASKING ME PERMISSION FIRST along with her other shots!  GRRRR!  That's for animals being boarded in kennels!  Not for cats that NEVER LEAVE MY APARTMENT!  I was SOOO angry....  required shot my arse!  I have mixed feelings on this vet though...  I had a cat that swallowed thread and had to have surgery.. he ended up dying...  but this vet literally spent hours trying to save this cat.  I respect that he tried so hard..

modified coz I'm a dummy who makes too many typos...  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 07:51:48 AM by NutKitty »