Author Topic: My continuous quest for rats...(long)  (Read 5073 times)

Offline Joe

• Posts Too Much!
  • Joe- Bouncer, Hoss, Beige, Domino, and Spook
    • World of Kesem
My continuous quest for rats...(long)
« on: April 16, 2002, 12:27:54 AM »
   First I must say WOW, that's a whole lot of new toys! At first glance, I didn't think I would like this new format, but I think I could get use to it with all this new
                  [shadow=purple,left,300]stuff !  ;D[/shadow][/b][/u]
  Anyway...remember the two Russian Blue male rats I mentioned at PetCO? Well, I got one of the guys to hold them for me for a week (they would have gone back in the tank today). I found someone else who could quarantine (one of Mandy's friends), and so I called PetCO back today to tell them to hold them a little longer, I was coming to get them today.
  I got the guy I'd talked to originally. He said that there had been two brown males they had been quarantining, and last Wednesday was the day they were to go back to the tank. Someone got them mixed up, and my two baby boys went back in the tank and got sold.  :'( I nearly cried. So close.
  Well, the flea market is coming up again this Saturday, and the lady usually has dumbos and very attractive standards. Unfortunately she keeps them for feeders . I may get two or three (or four or five or six...) of those. Mandy has assured me, though, that if I get dumbos and she holds on to them for me until I move out in the fall, I won't be getting them back.  ;)
  Keep your fingers crossed for me. ;-)

-Joe

Offline Maggie's Mom

• A little obsessed with rats...
    • Willow Moon Rodentry
Re:My continuous quest for rats...(long)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 12:36:16 AM »
Oooh!  Yayyy!  Very happy for you!  Are you thinking up names yet?  You must send us pics when you get them!  And what I wouldn't do for a dumbo, you're sooooo lucky to have the ability to find them.  Very happy for yuo, good luck!  But why'd the post turn out soooooo horizontal?  Bee is sooo confused?!?!?
Maggie's Mom/The Eclipse Rattery
Maggie, Harley, Mozy, Shadow, Diablo, Mercedes, Juno, Stella (Luna), 2 unnamed boys, and babies.  Gerbils- Gandalf, Merlin, Picasso, Mandy, and Peaches.  A dog, Daisy, a cat, Kiska, and a hamster, Hampton/Doobie.
abandoned247@cs.com

Offline Bilge Rat

• Don't eat that! It's not for rats!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 12:37:47 AM »
Good luck.  Too bad you can't sell your parents on it.  Have you thought of bringing over someone else's rat to let them see what great pets they are?  Sometimes a little first hand experience is all it takes.

db

While at your lifeboat station, you hear a signal consisting of one short blast of the whistle.  This indicates _______.
A. abandon ship
B. commence lowering boats
C. stop lowering boats
D. secure from boat stations

Offline Joe

• Posts Too Much!
    • World of Kesem
My parents...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2002, 12:44:37 AM »
   Actually, I did just that. Mandy went "out of town for a weekend" and so I rat-sat for her. ;-) We're such deviants. It unfortunately didn't work. My Dad's one of those people that, if he thinks something should be that way, it is. When I brought them over, they'd just gotten their cage cleaned, and didn't smell at all. My Dad walked up to the cage, took on big whif, made a face and said, "They stink," and walked out of my room. He had a rat when he was a kid (and I emphasize the fact that he only had one), kept it in a ten gallon tank, and never played with it. And he wonders why it wasn't any fun.
  My Mom just doesn't like them. I'll never be able to figure that one out. Oh well.

-Joe

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 12:54:36 AM »
Well geeze, no wonder he didn't think it was fun!  My Mom can be the same way about some things, although she really didn't have a choice when I got my first rat.  My aunt and I conspired, and she gave me her rat as "payment" for some of the babysitting I did!  ;D

So what have you planned to do?  Keep the rats at Mandy's until you are moved out?  I don't think I could stand waiting that long to have the rats there with me!  Good luck on finding some good rats.  :)

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

Offline Joe

• Posts Too Much!
    • World of Kesem
Getting rats...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 01:04:51 AM »
   Well, I decided a while ago that, since I won't be keeping them, I'm only going to get some that are either very well tempered, or very cute. I'm sure some of the less adorable ones would be just as loving, but this keeps me from going out and letting my GGAR get away with me.  ;)
  It would be a while. I'd hate to give up the time with them, but I can always go over there and play with them, and I know they'll be very well taken care of there. I may just decided that I don't want to give up the few months I'd end up doing, and waiting.

-Joe

Ali

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2002, 08:28:14 AM »
I know I've said it before, but in my opinion it would be VERY worthwhile waiting a few more months so that you don't have to give up valuable time with your ratties. Even though they would most likely still bond with you when you eventually got them back from your friend, I still feel you'd be losing out by not having them from the beginning. I know it sounds a bit morbid too, but rats lifespans aren't long enough to begin with, and you want to take full advantage of your boys/girls when you get them!!

Joe, you have the patience of a saint! Believe me, it will be well worth it when you finally get those little bundles.

:)